Use of branch colored collar disc borders on uniforms

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Hello,

Thought I would ask a question about the commonality of branch-specific colored collar disc borders on WW2 uniforms? I know it was more of an official thing in the 1950s and onward, but I have heard and seen in other threads of uniforms with the branch colored collar discs being used during WW2. Apparently it was unit by unit, but I was wondering if it was possible for any soldier deciding they wanted to place a collar disc border on their uniform for whatever reason? I know the regulations were a lot more lax as there was just so many soldiers it was hard to police regulations and so it was common for non-regulation uniform pieces and stuff to slip through the cracks but is this something that was actually seen at all or only a post-war thing?

Thanks

Hunt

This was actually done from WW1 onward, they used felt disc at this time. I dont think many unit used it wartime during ww2. But it gained popularity during the occupation period.

huntssurplus

This was actually done from WW1 onward, they used felt disc at this time. I dont think many unit used it wartime during ww2. But it gained popularity during the occupation period.

Would plastic discs be an exclusively post war thing?

Hunt

huntssurplus

I would say for the most part, early occupation. But they couldve been used late in the war.

Okay great thank you very much for answering my questions!

Hunt

I can't find a reference right now but I am pretty sure the felt discs behind the collar discs used right after WWI were not keyed to branch color. They were used like the Civil War colored corps badges, not the division within the corps but in this case the brigade or battalion (can't remember which) with in the division.

Have a WW1 uniform with the red ovals behinde the discs.Its a bit of a mash up but left as found out of a trunk in the early 1980s.Its an 88th division summer weight jacket.Has a black and red MP armband on one sleeve.The vet also placed his VFW armband on the other sleeve and VFW medals on it.Looks like he wore the uniform post war to conventions etc.Have read where the red discs were used by the Military Police in WW1.His camo painted helmet also has cross sabres on it.

There a photo in Keller's Army patch book of a late 20s into the 30s Soldier of the New York National Guard's 105th Infantry, 27th Division, wearing what are backings on his discs and cap device, color? it's light colored, so first guess is Infantry Blue, though it could be White, the branch color of the infantry in two different time periods (1776-1851) and (1886-1902).

61DnkmwYp8L._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I have seen multiple uniforms and photos of them being worn in Artillery and Infantry colors in the 43rd and 25th Infantry Divisions just before WWII.

Figured going ahead on Scanning these for their important reference points.

From Mr Keller's book on Army patches.

The aforementioned 1930s mentioned Soldier of the 105th Inf 27th Div, a 1st Sergeant wearing the discs on the collar and cap, on looking it does now seem to be Inf Blue rather than White.

post-34986-0-52211800-1584504279_thumb.jpgpost-34986-0-21541500-1584504286.jpg

And this WWI Infantry Soldier, of an unknown unit of 3rd Army in Germany, wearing Blue Discs behind the Collar Discs. As a member of a Non Divisional Infantry Organization, he must be in one of the Pioneer Infantry Regiments, which were Army Troops, or the Third Army Composite Regiment.

post-34986-0-73990900-1584504324_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

A 1930s Old Timer, a Master Sergeant along with an equally long serving Staff Sergeant  are wearing colored backings, seems to be QM discs right, so Buff? unit and year unfortunately not known.

dicsas.png

• 11 months later...

Hello All,

Here is a 1936 dated EM Visor Cap made by the Philadelphia Uniform Co., with an Artillery, Red Plastic branch disc.  The cap is a really nice peaked example with a back strap.

Enjoy!

EricIMG_5399.JPG.14bae923eaa69dd0e5c43b5d085e6aef.JPGIMG_5402.JPG.7be3c097e0b3b37d6b6d1bf6f504cbde.JPGIMG_5405.JPG.09cc6c1bce4d05a2e15a97559c33aa89.JPGIMG_5407.JPG.87572b091c70780368e8c4827a58e0c1.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

• 1 month later...

Here's one from a 20s movie, 1927, called Rookies, the backing looks dark like Red. in other stills they have what are 3rd Division patches on the actors too.

Rookies1927-2.jpg

roopkis120.jpg

This just found still we see again the backing discs, this time on the collars of an OD shirt, plus actor wears a Campaign Hat with Branch Cord Dark and and a Light Color looks like, so perhaps Engineers, Red and White? Wearing some king of insignia on the chest there almost looks like the Army Ground Forces patch, which would of been called the General Headquarters patch in WWI and after.

rookies_x_002.jpg

trookies_x_002.jpg

1 hour ago, patches said:

This just found still we see again the backing discs, this time on the collars of an OD shirt, plus actor wears a Campaign Hat with Branch Cord Dark and and a Light Color looks like, so perhaps Engineers, Red and White? Wearing some king of insignia on the chest there almost looks like the Army Ground Forces patch, which would of been called the General Headquarters patch in WWI and after.

rookies_x_002.jpg

trookies_x_002.jpg

Civilian Military Training Corps 

D173AA23-BAFD-44CD-BD08-6352CDDAFA80.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Yellow backings 1st Cavalry, 30s when the unit was in the 7th Cavalry Brigade (Mechanized)  we presume. though we suspect the tie and possibly the shirt are not original too this coat, tie would be Black, shirt usually White.

1st cav.jpg

I have a WW1 occupation period uniform coat with Third Army SSI for an Ordnance Corps soldier. It has black and red felt backings behind the collar discs. The use of branch of service colored backings was a post WW1 practice in the Army of Occupation. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2022 at 11:54 PM, Wake1941 said:

Civilian Military Training Corps 

D173AA23-BAFD-44CD-BD08-6352CDDAFA80.jpeg

And the Cap Cord on the Hat does indeed look like the Civilian Military Training Camp hat cords

cords.jpg

cord.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
patches

A very well made Branch Disc from the 20s-30s, Infantry Blue, a Screwback, note how the disc proper is countersunk from the Infantry Blue Enameled Border, Too bad the matching Crossed Rifles were not found with it.

blue discc.jpg

blue disc.jpg