Help with Navy Officer Coat

NateBud21

I found this Navy Officer coat at an estate sale shop but had trouble identifying the possible year. It had the name "KAPP A J" stenciled inside. Thanks!

post-157704-0-55563100-1584222258_thumb.jpg

post-157704-0-38673200-1584222266_thumb.jpg

US Navy officers coats only have 3 buttons per row and do not use shoulder straps. Would say, this is NOT US Navy.

US Navy officers coats only have 3 buttons per row and do not use shoulder straps. Would say, this is NOT US Navy.

. And, of course, I could be wrong. Cant really tell if its a frock coat, cant really see the buttons. Looks to have LT cuff stripes with Ensign shoulder straps. Odd.

I saw straps like that on Civil War era Naval Jacket (link here) and then a picture of similar straps where it said they were "Master" rank (link here).

I will just have to go back and see if it's still there and get a closer look at the buttons and see if I can find any other markings.

I saw straps like that on Civil War era Naval Jacket (link here) and then a picture of similar straps where it said they were "Master" rank (link here).

I will just have to go back and see if it's still there and get a closer look at the buttons and see if I can find any other markings.

. Yes, but the cut and style of the coat is not of the same era

It is a frock coat, you can see the waist seam. The shoulder straps aren't the same vintage, though. The coat is after 1908, before that there were nine buttons each side, up to the neck. The navy changed to silver rank bars in 1883. My guess is those straps are Civil War repro, though high quality.

It is a frock coat, you can see the waist seam. The shoulder straps aren't the same vintage, though. The coat is after 1908, before that there were nine buttons each side, up to the neck. The navy changed to silver rank bars in 1883. My guess is those straps are Civil War repro, though high quality.

. Couldnt see the waist seam. Thanks.

The shoulder straps threw me. They are very good ACW straps. Id guess someone got the coat and made a reenactor coat or something of that sort out of it.

Just a side note, the rank of Master, evolved into the rank of LTJG, and had been using the one and a half stripe sleeve rank since about 1864.

Thanks... really interesting stuff. I am going back to that place where it was tomorrow and will see if I can take a pic of a label or anything. This was the inside of the coat:

post-157704-0-45524700-1584280851.jpg