A Marine M7 Bayonet Mounted on M16 Rifle

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

A slow day here while I practice my social distancing skills.

I ran across this image and it reminded me that one does not see a lot of pics of M7 bayonets mounted on rifles. I guess that is just because the need for a mounted bayonet seems to have lessened over time.

This image was taken in December 1967. It is shows a Private Jones, a member of the 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines, near Da Nang during Operation Pitt. His bayonet scabbard cannot be seen as it is probably on his left hip out of the camera's view. There is no sling on his rifle. I hope Jones made it out of there and got home.

M7 Bayonet mounted Pvt R Jones 2nd BN 7th Marines Operation Pitt near DaNang 12-67.jpg

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick

Thanks, Marv. Both are good pics.

I think it is sort of amazing that so few period pics seem to exist showing M7 bayonets mounted on rifles.

Regards,

Charlie

Doctorofwar

There are several pics of Marines in Hue City with fixed M7 bayonets during the street fighting. Havent tackled the pic posting thing yet, but they are contained in several Vietnam books I have in my library.

Doctorofwar

From the Marine Corps Times. U.S. Marines are silhouetted as they stand on Hill 881 North after a fierce nine-day battle near Khe Sanh, Vietnam, on May 3, 1967, during the Vietnam War. (AP Photo)

post-249781-0-61425700-1584550062_thumb.jpeg

Charlie Flick

Good shots, Frank and Doctor. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Regards,

Charlie

First pic the Marine looks like he's wearing one of the old camo mosquito helmet covers, probably very happy to have that too.