Sign in to follow this  
AZPhil

Where was WAC basic training in 1943?

Matt,

You mentioned her specialty was 213 Stenographer(Administration)

Here are 2 pic's of her office in Karachi.

post-11740-0-39501800-1584932808.jpg

post-11740-0-85344900-1584932822.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

donation2014.gif

Often drive by Fort Des Moines

"Women also first began training at Fort Des Moines for US Army service in 1942 to join the Women’s Army Corps for World War II. Even before World War I, Fort Des Moines was used for US Army training as early as 1901. The 25th Infantry Regiment started training in 1903 as one of the first all-black US Army units".

https://militarybases.com/iowa/fort-des-moines/

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Here is another one of many from her collection.

It looks like a barracks drawing.

If you note ,There is that same belt driven shaft going along the ceiling in it as is in the office pic's..

Industrialized cooling!!

post-11740-0-93972200-1584934091.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

donation2014.gif

Posted Yesterday, 09:49 PM

When I spoke to my Mom, I mentioned what I was looking for and she thought she had the newspaper and also the funeral service memorial card. I told he whenever you get a chance.

She called me back in 5 minutes and did find her DoD and now I can move on with filling out the SF-180.

They know where she is buried and she is visited often. They knew the year but not the exact day.

And it was Alabama or Mississippi they thought she was at.

I just wanted to thank you again Matt. The info you found was priceless!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi Phil,

You're welcome.

Glad to hear you have a date of death now.

Some additional questions:

Where exactly is she buried? State/City/Cemetery

What was her last name at the time of her passing? Did she ever marry and to whom?

What year did she pass?

When you say they thought she was at Alabama or Mississippi, what and when is that referring to?

By the way, those pics you showed of her office in Karachi sure do look like a place where stenography took place. Also, in the barracks drawing, notice the mosquito netting on the bunks. Malaria was rampant in those parts evidently.

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

Hello Matt,

Here is what I have for the answers to your questions

. Where exactly is she buried? State/City/Cemetery.

.New Jersey, Vineland, Sacred Heart Cemetery.

What was her last name at the time of her passing? Did she ever marry and to whom?

Last name was Gottshalk. She married Forest Nelson Michael Michael Gottshalk. He converted when he married and took Michael as his Baptism name and then for his confirmation, he used Michael again, Not knowing he could use a different name. We called him Uncle Buddy, Now I know why we call him Buddy. That name is a mouth full !!LOL!!!

What year did she pass?

she died on January 25th 1994.

When you say they thought she was at Alabama or Mississippi, what and when is that referring to.

. When I asked on the family FB page about where they thought she served before going to India, one of my cousins thought it was maybe Alabama or Mississippi? Just a thought. They say she didn't talk about those time to the younger Nieces and Nephews but shared her photo's. She was a Great Aunt to us all and we all spent time at her house. She didn't have any children for some reason , But many fond memeroies with her. She would come to Philadelphia and visit and would take me to the Zoo when I was just a little kid, She was awesome!!!

I hope that answers your questions

Semper Fi

Phil

donation2014.gif

Hi Phil,

Thanks and yes that answers my questions. I appreciate it. --Matt

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

Source: FamilySearch.org

n1.jpg

n1a.jpg

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

n3a.jpg

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

n6.jpg

n7.jpg

n9.jpg

n10a.jpg

n10.jpg

Source: Find-A-Grave

n11.jpg

n12.jpg

n13.jpg

Thank you again Matt,

That is my first time seeing her grave stone.

I was in the Marine Corps and stationed in Yuma, AZ when she passed away and I have never been back to Vineland NJ since.

I remember the 3 Oak's bar,. Annie would take me there when I would stay at their house when I was a kid. Peanuts ,Pretzels and Soda where free. I was in my glory sitting on a stool at the bar with all the older Ladies and Gent's listening to their stories.

I knew that they split up, But I was to young to follow the drama. It looks like he went ahead and had a full family with the new wife. My Aunt never remarried.

Listed as one of the sibling of Anna is Mary Morrow. That is her sister and my beloved Gran. She was an awesome Grandmother. She developed Dementia when I was away in the Corps. I got to see her in the hospital before she died. She remembered me. It broke my heart when she died.

You found a lot of history and I am truly grateful for all the work you have done.

Thanks Matt!!

Semper Fi

Phil

donation2014.gif

Hi Phil,

You're welcome.

That's great that you remembered that 3 Oak's bar. Funny how we remember things like that when we were so young visiting our relatives. I have many fond memories visiting my grandparents as well.

At least your Gran Morrow remembered you when you went to see her in the hospital and she knew you were there. Dementia and Alzheimers are dreadful diseases.

Let us know if you find out anything more regarding Anna's service.

Semper Fi

Matt