Where was WAC basic training in 1943?

AZPhil

Hello All,

As some may know , My Aunt Annie was a WAC SSgt and was stationed in Karachi India during WW2. I have her uniforms along with her CBI uniforms and currectly have this one on display.

post-11740-0-50928600-1584218549.jpg

I have this photo of her as a Sergeant wearing an AAF patch,

post-11740-0-43757200-1584218826.jpg

I am trying to research her service prior to going to the CBI.

One member of the family is saying she talked about either Alabama or Mississippi. They are not sure which.

Would this area have been basic or other training?

I did a NARA search and have entered all the info required, but I'm getting the "0 results found" answer. I did get lucky when I looked up her laundry number from the site I found here( Thanks for that link) "J-5845" which gave me her whole service nimber of A-305845 and a some brief details. But that is as far as I've gotten..

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks

Semper Fi

Phil

Source: FamilySearch.org

Note: Name spelled Johon on this census but it's the correct family.

t6.jpg

t7.jpg

t1.jpg

t1a1aaa.jpg

t1a1a.jpg

t1a1aa.jpg

Anna R. Joanni's MOS is shown to be 213, which is Stenographer.

t1a1.jpg

t1a.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

t5.jpg

Source: https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs/g/general-r-e-callan.html

General R. E. Callan (AP-139)

The ship that Anna R. Joanni came back to the states on.

On 26 September 1945 General R. E. Callan (AP-139) stood out to eastward, touching Karachi, India, via the Suez and returning to New York with a full load of veterans on 21 November 1945.

t14.jpg

t15.jpg

Note: Major Edward D. Badgett was designated Group Commander of Reception and Separation Center numbers 7 and 32, Fort Sheridan, ILL. Anna R. Joanni was on Group 32's list.

t16.jpg

t17.jpg

Source: NewspaperArchives.com

Note: Two of the WAC's on the same list as Anna R. Joanni are in this newspaper article. They are Evelyn M. Graber and Grace M. Dennis.

t8.jpg

t9.jpg

t10.jpg

t13.jpg

Thank you aznation,

That is some amazing information you found.

I had the 1930 census from back when I had a Ancestry.com account,

The 1920 is something I didn't find, Yes the last name is spelled different, But those are all the names of my aunts and Grandmother and GGF and GGM. The uncle Stephen passed away before I was born.

The military info is what has me smiling from ear to ear.

Fantastic finds and I am truly grateful for you assistance.

So it looks like she was at Ft. Sheridan in Illinois prior to departing to Karachi.

That article about how happy they were to see the WAC's arrive shows in the photo album I have of her time there.

Wolf packs surrounding their prey is more like it!!!

Thank you again for your help and the time you spent looking this up.

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi Phil, you're welcome.

Regarding Ft. Sheridan in Illinois, I believe that's where Anna was supposed to report for separation. The ship that she was on, General R. E. Callan (AP-139), containing many veterans returning to the United States sailed on Oct. 30, 1945 and arrived in New York on Nov. 21, 1945. From there Anna and the group that's listed with her were to report to Ft. Sheridan, Illinois for separation. I'm pretty sure since those other WAC's in that one newspaper article dated Jan. 10, 1945 were on the same ship list as Anna, then most likely she was there as well at that time. My guess is Anna and those other WACs arrived in India sometime before that but exactly when is uncertain at this point.

Thank you for the clarification , This was her getting out paper work and not her going to documents. I need to pay attention to the dates on these.

She has 2 overseas stripes on her uniform. I was thinking she was there for a year.

I used to spend weekends at her house in New Jersey when I was a child.

I remember her saying she was in India when we dropped the atomic bomb on Japan.

I do appreciate you helping me out with this.

Thanks!

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi Phil,

So, if she had 2 overseas stripes on her uniform then that means she was overseas at least from Oct 44 - Oct 45. Since the two atomic bombs were dropped on Aug 6th and 9th, 1945, then she would've definitely been in India at that time. I've looked pretty good but if I find something else I'll certainly post it here. -- Matt

Sorry for this duplicate and more. I didn't think the first post went through and started this all over again.

Thank you for all the assistance with this.

I see I need to pay attention to the dates listed.

If I did I would have seen that this was her coming home and not her heading to India.

She has 2 overseas bars on her uniform. So I take it to mean she was over there for a year.

I used to spend weekends at her house in New Jersey when I was a child.

I remember her telling me she was in India when the Atomic bomb was dropped on Japan.

Other than that, she never really spoke about it to any of the family except for sharing the many photo's she had of her time spent. But would never talk about all the men in the pictures or who they were. That last part is coming from my female cousin's who is a bit older that I am.

Since I am the KEEPER of History in my family, I am currently in possession of all her uniforms and the photo's.

I can't thank you enough for all of your help and time spent looking this information up.

So Thanks Again!

Semper Fi

Phil

Thank you Matt!

Hey Phil, thanks for sharing the link to your previous post. I loved looking at all the other uniforms. They're awesome!

Hello aznation , I'm glad you liked the uniforms. It's nice to know that others enjoy these as much as I do.

I thought I would go with the National Archives SF-180 form and see if I could get more info of her time before going to India,

So I posted the FANTASTIC info you found on the Family FB page and was trying to get her Date of Death, which is required for the SF-180 for a deceased veteran.

After getting some of their thought's, It came out that they thought she was down South for training( Louisiana ,Mississippi) , So I started to look deeper in the links Salvage Sailor posted.

(Thanks SS).

Then I just got a call from my Mom, She said "Philip this just popped in my head and maybe Aunt Annie is talking to me. But Fort Ogelthorpe",

So I look that up and I find this. I think it's a BINGO for basic training.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/chickamaugawac.htm

What do you think????

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi Phil,

I think Fort Ogelthorpe is definitely a possibility.

Does no one in the family have her date of death or where she is buried?

When I spoke to my Mom, I mentioned what I was looking for and she thought she had the newspaper and also the funeral service memorial card. I told he whenever you get a chance.

She called me back in 5 minutes and did find her DoD and now I can move on with filling out the SF-180.

They know where she is buried and she is visited often. They knew the year but not the exact day.

And it was Alabama or Mississippi they thought she was at.

I just wanted to thank you again Matt. The info you found was priceless!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Matt,

You mentioned her specialty was 213 Stenographer(Administration)

Here are 2 pic's of her office in Karachi.

post-11740-0-39501800-1584932808.jpg

post-11740-0-85344900-1584932822.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

Often drive by Fort Des Moines

"Women also first began training at Fort Des Moines for US Army service in 1942 to join the Women’s Army Corps for World War II. Even before World War I, Fort Des Moines was used for US Army training as early as 1901. The 25th Infantry Regiment started training in 1903 as one of the first all-black US Army units".

https://militarybases.com/iowa/fort-des-moines/

Here is another one of many from her collection.

It looks like a barracks drawing.

If you note ,There is that same belt driven shaft going along the ceiling in it as is in the office pic's..

Industrialized cooling!!

post-11740-0-93972200-1584934091.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

Posted Yesterday, 09:49 PM

When I spoke to my Mom, I mentioned what I was looking for and she thought she had the newspaper and also the funeral service memorial card. I told he whenever you get a chance.

She called me back in 5 minutes and did find her DoD and now I can move on with filling out the SF-180.

They know where she is buried and she is visited often. They knew the year but not the exact day.

And it was Alabama or Mississippi they thought she was at.

I just wanted to thank you again Matt. The info you found was priceless!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi Phil,

You're welcome.

Glad to hear you have a date of death now.

Some additional questions:

Where exactly is she buried? State/City/Cemetery

What was her last name at the time of her passing? Did she ever marry and to whom?

What year did she pass?

When you say they thought she was at Alabama or Mississippi, what and when is that referring to?

By the way, those pics you showed of her office in Karachi sure do look like a place where stenography took place. Also, in the barracks drawing, notice the mosquito netting on the bunks. Malaria was rampant in those parts evidently.

Hello Matt,

Here is what I have for the answers to your questions

. Where exactly is she buried? State/City/Cemetery.

.New Jersey, Vineland, Sacred Heart Cemetery.

What was her last name at the time of her passing? Did she ever marry and to whom?

Last name was Gottshalk. She married Forest Nelson Michael Michael Gottshalk. He converted when he married and took Michael as his Baptism name and then for his confirmation, he used Michael again, Not knowing he could use a different name. We called him Uncle Buddy, Now I know why we call him Buddy. That name is a mouth full !!LOL!!!

What year did she pass?

she died on January 25th 1994.

When you say they thought she was at Alabama or Mississippi, what and when is that referring to.

. When I asked on the family FB page about where they thought she served before going to India, one of my cousins thought it was maybe Alabama or Mississippi? Just a thought. They say she didn't talk about those time to the younger Nieces and Nephews but shared her photo's. She was a Great Aunt to us all and we all spent time at her house. She didn't have any children for some reason , But many fond memeroies with her. She would come to Philadelphia and visit and would take me to the Zoo when I was just a little kid, She was awesome!!!

I hope that answers your questions

Semper Fi

Phil