Navy G-1 Anti-Submarine Patch Group

River Patrol

River Patrol

This G-1 came from Ebay recently with most of the patches stripped off but still offered as a group. I bought it as a project to re-construct what was there, if possible. Some of the patches are incredible and it's really been fun to get patches in the right place. So here is Phase I.

IMG_20200314_124414.jpg

River Patrol

Name tape is missing, so that is a problem but the stitch lines for the other patches begin to take shape.

IMG_20200314_124459.jpg

River Patrol

VA-75 Diamond shape patch below missing name tape.

IMG_20200314_124531.jpg

River Patrol

Next is the pocket below the diamond shaped patch. This could only be the giant triangular CVG-7 patch.

IMG_20200314_124559.jpg

River Patrol

Phase II is the right side of the jacket. This is where I'm also missing another patch. Stitch lines for round patches exist on the chest and on the lower pocket, but I only have one other round patch for VS-37.

IMG_20200314_125850.jpg

River Patrol

Right side sleeve has 2 patch outlines for the ships. First (lower patch) is USS Independence.

IMG_20200314_130056.jpg

River Patrol

Top one (stitch outline was too difficult to show) is for the Bataan (light Aircraft carrier).

IMG_20200314_130206.jpg

River Patrol

Final patch placement......might be better with the second squadron patch VS-37 on the chest but I think I forgot to shoot that one. Still, I think it looks really great!!

So, VS-23 (Black Cats) on left shoulder

VS-37 on lower right pocket or right chest

and spent time for 100 hooks with VA-75

IMG_20200314_130338.jpg

River Patrol

Nice addition to your collection.

Any idea who it belonged to?

Thanks!

As of right now, No, but I'm still waiting on information.

River Patrol

So, I got the last name of the pilot.

It appears from the jacket that he served on the Bataan during Korean war with VS-23 and/or VS-37,

and then flew with VA-75 (Sunday Punchers) through 1961 or just beyond....I'm not sure when he stopped flying.

Missing patch on the right chest is most likely for VA-75.

River Patrol

Looks like a good jacket for restore or leave it? That is a question...

Good luck,

Jerry

I'll probably pin them from behind. I know that will make a small pin hole in the leather but I'd like to display the patches on the uniform without altering it (as little as possible).

Any thoughts?

I guess it would be a good idea. Im not fan of restore uniform. It could be well displayed in kind of jersey frame with attached a patches as you mentioned or try a double side tape. Glad you got mostly of removed patches.

Cheers,

Jerry

River Patrol

I agree....I don't want to alter the jacket....pinning works best in my opinion.

I'm with Kammo-man. Take your time and try to match up the holes with a needle and thread and put the patches back on. The jacket by itself isn't very valuable or interesting in my opinion. Jeffro

I also think you should re-sew the patches to the jacket. Nice looking jacket, looks much better with the original patches in place.

That 1960-61 VA-75 Centurion patch is a killer!!!!!

Chris

There is a mama San shop near me that would do it right.

Otherwise is just a messed up beater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River Patrol

I'll probably get them sewn on but I want to find a Korean era VA-75 (Sunday Punchers) for the right chest....(or better yet, see if I can find a photo from the group first during the early 1960s).