WWII US ARMY 3RD ID, 15TH REGIMENT, IKE ID HELP

0811gysgt

Can anyone assist me with the identification for this Ike?

I believe that the laundry number is 19306 (1)

Is assume the 775 stamped number is a trailer number or maker?

It appears that he was enlisted and was late commissioned as a 2nd Lt.

Are the Infantry blue cords correct for WWII era?

Any information wold be greatly appreciated.

Rocco

post-8847-0-90639700-1584072129_thumb.jpeg

post-8847-0-44077400-1584072147_thumb.jpeg

There are many things I do not like about this jacket: the blue infantry cord was first authorized in 1952. It is worn on the right side, not left, and a single cord is worn, not two. The Regimental DUI is improperly worn as shown. It needs to be rotated 90 degrees. The crossed rifles are incorrectly worn. The 3ID patch is worn a little low, it should be 1/2” below the shoulder sleeve. It’s not unheard of to see them like this, but officers are generally more careful. The ribbons are four across, which is rather unusual. Not unheard of, but unusual. The ribbon bar includes a Good Conduct Medal ribbon which is only awarded to enlisted men. It is possible the owner received a battlefield commission, so this may be okay. The laundry number should start with the letter O- for officer, but again, if the man was prior enlisted, it might be okay.

Despite everything, this could be just fine. Most everything I mentioned can be explained away or corrected. For me there are just enough things wrong that I would tread carefully.

Thank You for your comments Steve. I purchased this uniform at a garage sale, over 35 years ago. It was my first uniform purchase for my collection. If I recall correctly, the woman that I purchased it from had the insignia in a sandwich bag attached to the uniform with a paper clip. Thank believe that she had it dry cleaned because I removed a paper dry cleaners tag that was stapled to it.

The ribbons are sewn on and the ETO was missing one star, probably from the cleaners.

All of the placement for the pin on insignia is on me. At 10 years old, I just pinned it back on the way I thought it was best based on photos from books that I had. Thee was no internet back then.

The only thing that still googles me is the blue Infantry cords. They were found on the jacket the same way that they are on it today.

I was really hoping to identify the owner by the laundry number. There is no name anywhere to be found.

Thank You,

Rocco

BILL THE PATCH

The owner could have added them, maybe for parades, vfw functions, who knows.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

No worries, Rocco. I did that to a few uniforms in my youth.

Infantry cords were likely added later, maybe a local VFW thing, maybe by the grandkids, etc. At any rate, they don’t belong on a WWII uniform.

sewn on ribbons are a little unusual, but hard to argue if they’ve been there forever!

Nice jacket - just needs a little TLC.