2 Japanese flags, part from a Betty bomber & a soldiers badge

Bob Hudson

Got this today from the widow of the officer who brought these home (she was 22 years younger than him). I was really interested in the "Japanese Zero compass" she said she had.

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

This said to be from a Betty bomber. The green paint certainly seems right, but I can't figure out the red paint. This would not fit at part of one of the painted red meatballs, but I did find a couple of photos online that seemed to show some red stripes on the aft end and red tail numbers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The smaller flag (25 x 17) has a carrying case which has dried up a bit over the decades.

It also has red stamps of Japanese soldiers - don't know that means:

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s2a.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

USCapturephotos

Oh man. Nice score Bob. I especially love seeing aircraft parts. Hope you learn more. Do you know what outfit the US officer served in? Thanks for sharing!

Paul

dhcoleterracina

Great group. I believe on the WAF they have an area where you can post things needing translation. If you don't belong then maybe our Worldwide Forum has something similar.

Nice items. Pretty sure the badge is a Japanese military reserve badge.

That's what I learned today:

g3.jpg

And the "Zero compass" that lured me there - the operative word was "zero."

fuji.jpg

No idea what it is, but military it ain't. I passed on that.

I don't know what the officer did other than Japan occupation duty, but I did get the part of his uniform the moths haven't eaten:

u1.jpg

Did find he was with aviation engineers and was enlisted before getting his commission.

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 5.24.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 5.27.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 5.28.30 PM.png

Oh man. Nice score Bob. I especially love seeing aircraft parts.

It'd be nice to find out were it went, but the only Betty pictures online are usually of plastic models it's hard to discern details. I will post the hatch in our sister WMF forum

I've been told the smaller one, "was created by a non-Japanese hand." It does look like one person wrote everything. This vet died in 1992 and his family had this flag long before that. I would guess he picked up a CB fake during occupation duty.

cbflag.jpg

Turns out that red and green piece is not from a Betty or any other naval aircraft: it has an uncoated backside but IJN aircraft had a coating on the interior side. The IJA air force did not do that.

A non-military compass, a mislabeled aircraft part and a Japanese soldier's Good Luck flag probably made by a US Navy Construction Battalion - some savvy, but ethically challenged, GI hustlers did really well selling war souvenirs to the rear echelon forces moving into Japan for the occupation.

At least the aircraft panel was not labeled "Japanese Zero" as usually happens to any piece of scrap aluminum allegedly found in the Pacific Theater.

I wonder what the salesman called that Reservist badge (which today ia only worth $20)? I'm sure he told the GI it was a Japanese commando badge or some other such fantasy.

Now all of this raises the question: is a Good Luck flag made by the US Navy for sale to American forces in Japan actually a piece of US militaria? I think it's a little bit similar to US trench art.

* (1) = daiichi orime (first fold line)

* (2) = daini orime (second fold line)

Doesn't say what was in the pouch.

* Read right to left

s4.jpg

(1) the usual main slogan = ki (praying for) 武運長久 = buunchoukyuu ("continued luck in the fortunes of war")

(2) The flag belonged to = Kunisada (surname) 安太郎 = Yasutarou (given name) = kun (Mr.)

b1.jpg

(1) 武運長久 = buunchoukyuu ("continued luck in the fortunes of war")

* (2) = toua taisen (the great Asian war)

* (3) = koukoku taiki (the great Japanese flag)

(4) 1944

(5) This is the name of a shrine (jinja 神社). If I could see a better shot of the character circled in green I may be able to read it.

Agree that it was all done by the same hand but do not agree that it was not a Japanese hand. To me, this is not a "CB flag". I think this was something done by the shrine to give to soldiers in their area. There is no recipient name or well wishers signatures. Notice that the four lines of Kanji on all four corners of the flag begin with the same line (on the left) 陸軍三0 (Army region/district 30)

* Read right to left

s1.jpg

Where to fold it and sequence

I opened up that case and found a folded piece of paper with Japanese to English translations. I have yet to try to match them with the flags. The translation was signed by someone named Natividad Castillo. I first thought that might be someone from California or Mexico. But being able to translate the old style Japanese writing would seem to have required spending a loing time in Japan.

Turns out she's most likely from the Philippines: I found an online obituary mentioning a "Natividad Castillo" who was born in the PI. That may not be the same person but it convinced me that this was someone who spent the war in the Phillippines and learned Japanese, maybe as part of her job. I wonder how much some GI paid for the translation? Is it a good one Eric?

So here's the two-page document: I include closeups of each section.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg