Unusual WWII Training Grenade

RonnieBigR800

RonnieBigR800

Hello all! Some other collectors have become boggled at this grenade. Unlike most WWII training grenades, this grenade is not red nor marked RFX. It is a standard actual grenade (Marked 1 AH) that has been drilled out, had a WWII training fuze added and painted blue. Im curious why this grenade is blue, who the maker is and what might be the story to these types of training grenades being issued.

As for the grenades history, my great grandfather, Clarence Englehart, sent this grenade home from Okinawa to my grandfather, along with a blue training bazooka round, a Japanese officers rifle (cut down infantry rifle), a Japanese samurai sword and a photo book from his time on Okinawa. My great grandfather was 36 when he was drafted, meaning he was over 40 years old during the Korean War, so I know for a 100% certain fact this grenade is not post war.

Thank you all, hope to get some answers!

- Ron

post-170125-0-45269800-1583964067.jpeg

post-170125-0-94706500-1583964080.jpeg

post-170125-0-81612200-1583964098.jpeg

Kaptainssurplus

This is actually a real pre war HE MK2, it was painted at some point blue, may have been used for training but it started as a real HE. The fill plug is missing from the bottom.

What Kaptain stated...quite common....I did notice the fuze is an un modified M10A2, most of which were to be used up in early practice grenades.

Persian Gulf Command

Here are some photos of my two examples with the same body markings. Like your blue practice they have the early filler holes but mine are only painted (1942 and later) OD green not yellow of green over yellow.

Photo 1 of 2

post-17994-0-06096300-1584096843.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Also notice that the OP filler hole threads seem to be damaged. This may be why the grenade became a blue painted practice version. However, this damage may have also resulted from soldiers throwing it during practice drills meaning the blue practice designation may have been the original intent in this case.