Interesting WAAC brassards in photo I just acquired...

Chris

Just wanted to share this as I don't recall ever seeing this brassard. I just acquired this original 8x10 with a large lot. The photo shows 10th Co., 1st Regt., 1st WAAC Training Center, Fort Des Moines, IA, in December 1943. The owner is one of the pictured WAACS and is from Oregon. she has ID'd three others in the photo, also from Oregon, for her Mom on the back. But you will notice several wearing brassards. They are either seated at the end of rows, or have the guideon. So, I am guessing they are class leaders of some sort. The brassards have the 9th Service Command patch in the center, and "ALL-STA"...? above. Below is "WN". With a loupe and good light, the details are much clearer than I was able to capture in these pictures. Unfortunately, the All-STA..." writing disappears from view before you can make out the last letters positively. But having studied this at length, it is either ALL-STAR, or ALL-STATE. I am leaning toward "ALL-STAR". The brassards with readable writing are visible on two WAACS, and they are identical including the 9th Service Command patch. The officers are wearing Army Service Forces patches. Three of the officers signed the photo, and she put small symbols by the three WAACS from Oregon, who she names on the back. In any case, I just wanted to share the brassard in case it was unknown to some of you, and helps you recognize who wore it if you run across one.

post-5831-0-00215500-1583958283.jpg

post-5831-0-00403000-1583958295.jpg

post-5831-0-43145900-1583958311.jpg

post-5831-0-80865600-1583958323.jpg

post-5831-0-54526200-1583958338.jpg

Here are a couple for UTAH and WN (Washington) with the 9th service command to give you an idea of what it looks like

post-1604-0-58959300-1584044626.jpg

post-1604-0-68946000-1584044779.jpg

I have almost a complete set of these. I can post the rest if interested but they don't change much except the SSI. here are 49 total in the set. The 48 states at the time and the District of Columbia which is the only one that does not have a Service Command SSI. I am missing the following

5th Service Command

Kentucky

West Virginia

8th Service Command

Arkansas

Louisiana

New Mexico

Oklahoma

Cutiger83 gave me a link about the WAAC's and the WAC's when I posted my aunts CBI uniform.

Here is a snip from the link she gave me about those Brassard.

"The War Department and the WAC leadership recognized the immediate need to step up the recruiting campaign to prevent these occurrences and to increase the number of enrollees who sincerely wanted to aid the war effort. The result was the All-States Campaign and the Job-Station Campaign. In the first, General Marshall asked state governors to assign committees of prominent citizens the task of recruiting statewide companies for the WAC, which would carry their state flags and wear their own state armbands while in training. In theory, state pride would encourage the committees to work diligently to fill their quotas"

Excellent photo and also seeing the armbands was a real pleasure.

Thanks for showing them

Semper Fi

Phil