• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1965 101st Airborne Fort Campbell Is Kentucky Yearbook with extra propaganda? Papers and photos found inside the book

Thank you for posting those references. Something I didn't know happened in training. Though, it makes complete sense to me.

He looks very young. I believe he was 19 when the photo was taken. I would have mistaken him for a 15 year old.

Sure thing, no problem. At least the mystery is solved for sure. He looks like a 15 yr. old to me as well.

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

How about that... from Nebraska. Apparently he may have taught at my kid's high school, although much earlier. I guess a two year enlistment in the 101st was enough for him. A brigade of the 101st was in Vietnam during that time period, but if he had deployed that probably would have been in the obituary.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

How about that... from Nebraska.  Apparently he may have taught at my kid's high school, although much earlier.  I guess a two year enlistment in the 101st was enough for him. A brigade of the 101st was in Vietnam during that time period, but if he had deployed that probably would have been in the obituary.

I found this obituary and was rather certain it was for the same soldier. I assumed he stayed stateside and never deployed. Unfortunate, seemed liked we could have used his character in Vietnam.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Military pictures of Ron extracted from his tribute movie off obituary.

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

I seen the one with the beret, not a clear enough photo to tell what it is, Black Berets stateside CONUS in this period, or a little later like in 68-69 really are typical of the Ft Benning Shake and Bake School.

He was honorably discharged, possible he got hurt?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Possible, it might be a long shot, but maybe he PCSed? Obviously not to South Vietnam nor left with the division when they went over in Oct-Dec 67, maybe a little before?? Alaska, or West Germany, the Canal Zone? they had Jump Units at these stations and he got out sometime in 1968.

A lot of times OBITs are notoriously incomplete and rife with contradictions, errors and omissions when it comes to military service. Like take the OBIT I posted on post # 12 on Colonel Louis W. Odom in example, It does not mention his combat service in Vietnam at all, and that service was one of the highlights if not thee highlight of his long career right, the commander of an Infantry Battalion in combat, more so in my estimation then his Pentagon duty, yet no mention of it.