• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Gerradtgrant

1965 101st Airborne Fort Campbell Is Kentucky Yearbook with extra propaganda? Papers and photos found inside the book

A co-worker of mine knows that I collect US Military items. He came across this book and assortment of pictures and paper items and bought it without asking me a fair price. Since he bought it for me I felt obligated to buy it from him but probably paid to much, oh well the education is worth it sometimes. He knows just enough to be dangerous, he saw 101st and got mesmerized. I have yet to get into Vietnam Era, as I am still diligently learning the WWII era.

The little grouping came with the yearbook belonging to PFC Ronald Richards of Co B of the 2nd Bn, 506th Infantry, a picture of him receiving a watch for being soldier of the month. The watch was presented by Major General Ben Sternberg and Paul Huff who was a Medal of Honor recipient in WWII with the 509th parachute infantry Battalion. It also came with 2 more portraits of him. Also, came with some papers that appears to be anti war propaganda. I have never seen them before and would like to know how something like this would have been circulated to the soldiers? Hope you enjoy as much as I did. Learned a few new things today and that's what I strive to do with each new named grouping I come across.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Forgot it also came with this reward for capture note. Never seen something like this before. Posted Image

Your anti-war propaganda looks like material cooked up for a training exercise. Still neat and unusual.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Your anti-war propaganda looks like material cooked up for a training exercise. Still neat and unusual.

I agree, one taking place in Texas. Also for what it's worth 1,000 Dong would be around 200-400 USD

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a thousand pictures!

"I read that in war bad things happen, Ain't that the ************* truth" -1st Lt Mike Scotti

That makes complete sense. Thank you for that. I didn't think about them using tactics like that during training exercises.

+1 more on that. It's always fun when they put that effort into an exercise.....one I remember was someone on cadre running "guerrilla radio" via the plain text radios....they would play music and taunt people by name who lost gear, maps etc throughout the exercise every night!!!

Afghanistan Vet OEF 10-11 - Engineer Corps US Army.

Getting a medal means two things:

1. Someone saw you do it.

2. You didn't tick off the approval chain.
Seeking 984th Engineer Co (Land Clearance), 36th Engineer Regt/Bde, and Sanitary Corps items from all eras.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

+1 more on that. It's always fun when they put that effort into an exercise.....one I remember was someone on cadre running "guerrilla radio" via the plain text radios....they would play music and taunt people by name who lost gear, maps etc throughout the exercise every night!!!

One of members of my ROTC detachment was of Chinese descent. During field exercises he would taunt the other side calling from behind the trees in broken English "Go home Joe!" "This is not your war... your girl is at home in bed with a 4F!" It was all the rest of us could do to prevent revealing our positions by busting a gut!

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Forgot it also came with this reward for capture note. Never seen something like this before. 739d102246d2f3a4d4b3a1de0e0f0bc4.jpg

I would wager that elemts of the 101 still at Ft Campbell aggressed against the 199th Infantry Brigade (Sep) during it's training phase at the old Camp Shelby in Mississippi, this being September through November 1966, and this kid was in it, and kept these flyers as a keep sake. Two things that hint at this, one the Paratrooper image of a Parachute Badge on the triangle with bolt behind it, badge also kinda looks like a skull and bones too right :lol:. Two, all those officers of the brigade are the original ones in 1966 when the brigade was activated at Ft Benning. the BDE C.O. and C.O.s of the brigades three maneuver battalions.

Here's Louis W. Odom OBIT, incorrectly says he was in Korean War, and that he was a pilot, not sure on that. I got the Command & General Staff College Yearbook of 1959 he is in, this year officers BIOs are included, he was an EM in the 15th Air Force in WWII, after he was commissioned in the infantry in 1949 and after the Infantry Officer Basic Course he served from that point through the whole war in Germany in the 18th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division, his photo in book shows him with these WWII ribbons no Korea ribbons.

It also curiously does not mention his combat service in Vietnam, in his OBIT off to the side on the middle right side you will see a few more photos of him, one in Dress Whites in the early 60s where those two rows of ribbons he's wearing are the exact same ones in the Command & General Staff yearbook, and another post Vietnam where he's now wearing the CIB.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/louie-odom-obituary?pid=184160868

That other brigade officer William E. Hartman, is in fact William F. Hartman, a recipient of the 3rd Award Combat Infantryman Badge for WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Check out that topic for his update, cause there's a bit of a wrinkle.

That makes complete sense. Thank you for that. I didn't think about them using tactics like that during training exercises.

Played OPFOR for a year in 2000 and we made wanted posters by name of men in the 27th Bde. names were culled from the State NG Newspaper Guard Times. put into plastic protectors and taped to trees in our AO. Faked map case of the bn cdr showing our cache/assembly areas (actually our TRP's) left conveniently on Antwerp road to be found.

Source: NewspaperArchives.com

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

n6.jpg

n7.jpg

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

n8.jpg

n9.jpg

n10.jpg

n11.jpg

n12.jpg

n13.jpg

n14.jpg

n15.jpg

n16.jpg

n17.jpg

n18.jpg

n19.jpg

n20.jpg

(Cont)

n21.jpg

n22.jpg

n23.jpg

n24.jpg

n25.jpg

Those are some great newspaper articles az. Thanks for finding them and adding them.

Posted Today, 09:59 AM

Those are some great newspaper articles az. Thanks for finding them and adding them.

You're welcome. By the way Pfc Ronald Richards looks SO young in those pictures. Either that or I'm getting old (no comments).

You're welcome.  By the way Pfc Ronald Richards looks SO young in those pictures.  Either that or I'm getting old (no comments).

Thank you for posting those references. Something I didn't know happened in training. Though, it makes complete sense to me.

He looks very young. I believe he was 19 when the photo was taken. I would have mistaken him for a 15 year old.

You're welcome. By the way Pfc Ronald Richards looks SO young in those pictures. Either that or I'm getting old (no comments).

I had the same thought. Were we ever that young?

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

We had the same kind of training. They even had a guy one night about 2 AM out in the woods in the training area

on a weekend drill. They had some guy hidden with a loudspeaker or amplifiers... reading out propaganda and calling out names of people in our unit etc etc... Out in the middle of the woods... We were to just ignore it but it was weird. Like something out of an old korean war movie.