Strange little wing

The Rooster

The Rooster

Greetings all.

I picked up this little 2 inch wing.

It seems to be put together as it looks like the wings were attached to the center. Has anyone seen something like this before. Appears to have the word silver on theback of the shield. That's all I have for pictures right now.

Thank you.

post-181333-0-54183200-1583882204_thumb.jpg

Hi,

That's an interesting little wing. I'm surprised there has been no comment!

I don't have one like it but I agree, it looks like it might have the wings attached to the shield, although it is more apparent on the reverse right side. I guess one possibility it is has been repaired. The only wings I can think of that typically use separate wings are from Wallace and Bishop, but the marking and hardware don't conform to their full size examples.

The hardware looks like standard US manufacture but the marking of SILVER rather than STERLING would be more common for theater made. I guess it's possible theater made hardware could have been replaced by US made hardware looking at the bases of the hinge and catch.

Hopefully someone else will dig around and find a similar wing.

Thanks for showing it!

Regards

Mike

The Rooster

Thank you Mike.

Its different thats for sure. Thats why I picked it up. Ive never seen one like this that were made from

pieces other than the British and

Aussie ones you mentioned. I think the ones made in Mexico were marked coin silver. But maybe this is a mexico made wing?

I'l put better pictures up when it comes in.

Thanks again

Cheers !

I've picked up two similar examples along the way... The front shield design and feather patterns match Rooster's badge; but the backs display variant "STERLING" marks. One is raised and the other incised. Under magnification, they both appear to be single-piece die strikes. It would be nice learn who produced this unusual pattern?

Two inch unknown A.jpg

two inch unknown B.jpg

two inch unknown C.jpg

The Rooster

I was just about to point out the one on your site Bob!

Thank you. And thank you Rustywings. They all seem to be the same wings. Though bobs is much cleaner and mine has the odd

hallmark. They all appear to be the same wing. Ahhh but the mystery remains. Who made them? What pattern do they represent?

And the one on your site Bob has like an extra row of fletching or something on the front.... under the first row and Rustywings, yours have that same extra row. I dont see it on my pair. Unless mine are so worn down?