USCG 9th PSU beret

firefighter

firefighter

Pretty cool picture of a Coastie wearing what I'm assuming a locally made beret insignia. This is from Desert Stormpost-105435-15838610412623.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

firefighter

Here is a better picture. I have a buddy that was in the 9th PSU. He said they ordered these before going over. post-105435-15838801264148.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Firefighter - thanks for posting the picture of the beret. I always suspected that one of the three PSUs that deployed ISO Operation Desert Storm/Shield wore a beret, but never had any luck finding a clear picture of it in use until recently. Including the two photos above I am up to three sightings. Still trying to find an original beret with the patch.

Thanks for the first picture.

I have a 9th PSU DBDU, first time I've come across a picture of it in the field.

firefighter

Firefighter - thanks for posting the picture of the beret. I always suspected that one of the three PSUs that deployed ISO Operation Desert Storm/Shield wore a beret, but never had any luck finding a clear picture of it in use until recently. Including the two photos above I am up to three sightings. Still trying to find an original beret with the patch.

I dont think my buddy would let his beret go. Not my field of collecting but I would love to have one.

I have gotten lucky with some early patches from the time period, and always looking out for a beret. With any luck we will both find one, one day!

firefighter

Very cool! Didn't know CG ever used a beret.

Same here. Never knew he even had one till I just asked him about the picture.

• 3 months later...
Doctorofwar

There is a picture of a Persian Gulf deployed Coastie wearing a beret (although the insignia is not visible) on page 121 of the book “The Coast Guard” edited by Tom Beard.  He is dressed in chocolate chips and armed with an M16A1.

Here is my desert top from the 9th PSU.  There can’t be too awful many out there.

36224A0E-BCD2-4E6C-B0F8-839DAE65AC91.jpeg

Doctorofwar

Looking at the picture in the original post, I believe this is the same coastie from the pic in the book I mentioned- just a different view. (Same sunglasses, facial features etc)

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Figured it would be nice to see the picture in higher resolution

DN-ST-92-07403.jpeg.b3abce590a9a5f57351954e8fece7229.jpeg

SEAMAN Dave Gugliuzza of U.S. Coast Guard Port Security Unit 302 patrols with an M-16 rifle on a Navy harbor boat during Operation Desert Shield 5/14/1992 Scene Camera Operator: PA1 Uscg Chuck Kalnbach