An American Girl in the RAF.

patches

post-34986-0-09754500-1583809738_thumb.jpg

Don't know when photo was taken, years ago like in the 80s or 90s or more recent, and know nothing more than her name, Heather Miller, and she was from Fredericksburg Virginia :D

For an American to serve in the RAF, they would have to apply for citizenship in the UK then join the RAF if they have been a good citizen. She may have moved to the UK when she was a child then joined the RAF when she was old enough. Where did you find the picture?

...Kat

RAF recruiting requirements.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check

To meet RAF nationality requirements, you need to be one of the following:

• British citizen
  • British national
  • British/Dual national
  • Commonwealth citizen
  • Irish Republic national

Residency
To meet RAF residency requirements, you should have been a UK Resident for a minimum of five years immediately preceding application, and have spent no more than 28 days per year outside the UK within those five years.

UK residents of less than five years, or those who have spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK will require more eligibility checks. If this is you, call us for further advice.

RAF recruiting requirements.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check

To meet RAF nationality requirements, you need to be one of the following:

• British citizen
  • British national
  • British/Dual national
  • Commonwealth citizen
  • Irish Republic national

Residency

To meet RAF residency requirements, you should have been a UK Resident for a minimum of five years immediately preceding application, and have spent no more than 28 days per year outside the UK within those five years.

UK residents of less than five years, or those who have spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK will require more eligibility checks. If this is you, call us for further advice.

GIl,

Thanks for the info! This is why I am wondering if she moved to the UK at an early age and then joined. Either that or maybe she lived in the UK and recently moved to Fredericksburg after her service in the RAF. The link gives zero information.

...Kat

Could be a military dependent that decided to stay in England after mom and dad PCS'ed, or born to American military parents and claimed British citizenship at 18

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe dual citizenship. I encountered quite a few Americans serving in the British Army when I was in the Mid 90s.

A fair few in the Parachute Regiment. When I joined we had an American guy who had served in the USMC.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Worked the other way, too. I served with an individual with dual American/British citizenship in the Air Force. He introduced me to Guinness Stout.