ken88

1943 dated type 1 cavalry gloves by Buffalo Denim

I found these cavalry gloves a while ago. These are dated 1943 and were made by a brand called Buffalo Denim. The date is in one glove, the brand's label is in the other. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any information on them online. I am wondering if these were actually made in 1943 or if they were made in post war years. Note: I realize velcro tabs weren't around in 1943 for the closure, but it seems to me the velcro was added after the gloves were made since the thread in them definitely differs from the rest of the thread in the gloves. I could also find some evidence of missing/replaced thread. There is a small repair to one of the digits. I'm fairly confident these are not modern day repros, but would like to know what they are, whatever they are.

Was there a clothing company named Buffalo that produced this type of glove back in 1943, or are they the tribute type of thing that were to be found in souvenir shops in the years following the war? I was hoping they were indeed gloves privately purchased in 1943. They came from France for what it's worth...

I've come across similar gloves made by Abercrombie and Fitch, but for the life of me can't seem to find the exact same ones. I was hoping anyone here might know.

Cavalry gloves were issued to all sorts of troop during the war, however, if they are that old, they were not made by a military contractor, that's for sure. They look old enough to have been made in 1943 to my eyes, I like the deep yellow tan regardless. I'd definitely fall in love with these if I ever found out they were worn by a GI. Anyway, pictures are worth a thousand words, so I'll leave it there.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Best regards

gloves1.jpg

gloves2.jpg

gloves3.jpggloves4.jpg

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

"The battle belonged that morning to the thin wet line of khaki that dragged itself ashore on the channel coast of France." - General Omar Bradley.

They look like the Linesman gloves were issued in Air Force Combat Comm in the 1990s...

Mark sends

Mark Conrad, MSgt, USAF (Ret)

"Poor is the nation that has no Heroes...shameful is the one having them that forgets."

The Miami Valley Military History Museum: http://www.mvmhm.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Miami-Valley-Military-History-Museum/111268115594349
Official Partner of the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration: www.vietnamwar50th.com
Official Partner of the United States of America World War I Centennial: www.worldwar1centennial.org

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

These appear to be much later vintage than the 1943 "date" you see in the photo. I would guess 1990's. They would be great for a reenactor except for the Velcro.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Ah too bad... Thanks for the opinions

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

"The battle belonged that morning to the thin wet line of khaki that dragged itself ashore on the channel coast of France." - General Omar Bradley.