Today's Finds

Dirk

Picked these up today at a local show. A couple of mid-1870's Marines. The CDV was taken in Paris, so am guessing he was serving with the European Squadron. Interesting this Marine chose a photo studio on Paris's most fashionable street, a far cry from what I normally see. He is wearing the first style of enlisted EGA on the kepi, but that 5 button jacket I have only seen worn by a few Marines on the Asia Station in the early 1880's. The second comes from fellow forum member Scott (great to meet a fellow member) and is very clean tintype of an officer with a very plain studio background. Like the pose. Now to ID him. These are not normally my main focus areas, but I can't resist picking some early stuff if it comes along. Last is a 3 dollar post card showing a couple of young Marine trumpeters. Although the card was mailed with a 1915 postmark, the photo was clearly taken at least 10 years before.

IMG_8562.JPG

IMG_8563.JPG

8C25A5A51DAC484093742D5A623D0597.png

60B6355F49954709AAF0EF10E9A2D8FE.png

IMG_8564.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazing these have lasted all these years, and better yet are no in the hands of somebody who will cherish them.

Well done.