Road map, Hof area, printed in 1944

Backtheattack

Backtheattack

While searching for informations I can use for a little book dealing with the end of World War II in my area in April 13. to April 16. 1945 with special interest in the route of the 90th and 26th Division a good friend gave me this map, printed in 1944.

post-104851-0-16356700-1583670122.jpg

Backtheattack

The town of Hof is in northern Bavaria/Germany, the 90th Recon found an intact bridge south of Blankenstein near the town of Lichtenberg while marching south from the town of Lobenstein, Lichtenberg was the first town to fall in american hands at the afternoon April 13., 1945, because of the high ground on which this town is, there was a artillery unit which could easily fire at the rivers underneath.

post-104851-0-14389900-1583670313_thumb.jpg

The next day the 358th Regiment was at Issigau and Berg where the unit cut the Highway 9 from Nürnberg to Berlin. At April 15., 1945, the town of Hof falls to the 358th Regiment. I`m still searching for informations because the printed books didn`t tell the truth about the real way, for instance local historicans talk about the 90th Division at Naila at April 14., 1945, but this seems not to be correct, while reading the After Action Reports I found a Tank Bn. there which was under command of the 26th Division.