case straight guard M-3?

Costa

I thought M-3 knives had a bent guard not straight. the only marking on this is "CASE" under the guard. is this a variation?? rear?? this blade went for 400.00.

post-73-0-10175700-1583459015_thumb.jpg

From the picture it looks like a typical M3 straight guard knife. The scabbard is a replacement though, its not the style that came with the straight guard knives.

I'm not familiar with a straight guard M3. I also see that there were no grooves cut in the grip. Would that be out of the ordinary?

Costa- CASE straight guard M3s were bright, or parkerized, and came with the plain leather sheath like the one pictured. Can't pin down any info as to whether they were WW2 production, or post war. I have always been under the impression they are post war, but research has them posted on CASE's WW2 production display board which was sold in I believe 1982. The ones we see do not have the typical M3 stamp, and the guards are stamped with "CASE" on top front of the guard, w/o ordinance stamp. The handles were not grooved. When you do see these, they tend to be in excellent shape, which leads me to think they are post war. I own a mint one that I bought a few years ago at the Raleigh Militaria Show for $150, no sheath. I have yet to see a picture of a WW2 soldier carrying one. Could be wrong! SKIP

If you have access to Bill Walters first book on the M3/M4's, he makes his case, ( Oh I did a pun), for the straight guard M3's being WW2 for the Navy. It may not be conclusive but it is at the least compelling. Hope he drops by for this thread.

They're not common, this one is in very nice shape. My experience with the straight guard is different than Skips in that the few I've run across were all somewhat used, but that might be a coincidence of geography.

I've got a bright finished one that came with an early M8 sheath, both in used condition.

did Frank Tzaska put out a book on military knives that had an example of this straight guard??? he was really good on knives.

Costa- Mike Silvey has a picture on page 44 of his "Knives of the United States Military in WW2". Also Bill Walters has pictures in his M3 book. SKIP

They are not that hard to find, but I agree with ST most I see are in used or beat up. I always liked them because on some of the examples they have what I call a nice perch belly grip sort of like the early savage 99 rifles. The one with the bright scabbard came from the Case Auction, I think this knife or at least the sheath was used in auction flyer.

post-2641-0-54664500-1583590266.jpeg

I hope that someday the people at Knife Magazine decide to do Military Knives a Reference Book Volumes 2 and 3, (at least).

Doctorofwar

I second that there should definitely be a follow up volume (or 2) of Military knives a reference book. The original was a great source of keeper articles and could be rated as a Best Buy as far as military knife books are concerned.

Id be first in line to buy a copy if it ever gets made!

Hint, hint Mr. Trzaska....