• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I recently purchased my first USMC herringbone shirt. I believe it is a P41. It shows very heavy use with redish brown stains on the bottom half of the shirt as well as the cuffs. The shirt shows fraying and holes in multiple areas as well. The shirt is also very faded and the EGA has completely faded away. While most collectors prefer to have items in better condition, I usually prefer items with a salty, been there done that look. This is probably the most used HBT I've seen, so I'm happy to add it to my Pacific Theater collection. Any comments are welcomed.

post-191489-0-17059100-1583407192_thumb.jpgpost-191489-0-33795000-1583407203_thumb.jpgpost-191489-0-42301100-1583407217_thumb.jpg

Very nice SALTY P41 shirt, possibly a Mechanic. I had a similar P41 with like stains on the arms and cuffs.

Robin-

I Collect USMC WWII uniforms, gear, patches, insignia. medals and ribbons. I also sell and trade Militaria of primarily the U.S. Military.

R.Delaney

Semper Fidelis-

That is a beauty. Just how I like HBTs.

Those, many times, became work shirts after the war. So, it is impossible to say if the grime / wear is war time. I have had several that had house paint, etc, on them, and was told that it was their garden, oil change, chore shirt. It looks the part though.

Look closely around the inside back collar area, and above the pocket, for traces of a laundry stamp. It would be great to ID it. Half, or more, of the ones I have had are named.

If you have any means of infrared, take a look at it that way. I have identified a bunch of gear with IR.

I use an old camcorder with NightShot on it, but I suspect there are USB options nowadays.

Unfortunately, there's no name or laundry number I can make out. I think it all faded off. I do hope to get an identified one at some point, as most of the items in my collection have a name on them.

Congrats!

Craig

Thank you to all that have served our country and to your families that have sacrificed without your presence at home. Thank you to all that have given their lives for my freedom and to their families that suffer. May God bless you!

Ahh this is the one that was on eBay, while I agree that it is impossible without a name to say this has actually been there I like it.

As mentioned a lot of P41s where used after the war as work overalls. Many can be found with paint on etc as they where used for while painting or for yard work.

That could also give the impression of used in theatre depending of the level of breakdown of the HBT through use.

As Owen stated this is in fairly good Nick (good condition) compared to several I have that where used on Iwo Jima, Okinawa etc.

Normally they will have heavy wear on the inside collar, below the collar on the back and on the cuffs. Sweat sun and sand will pretty much break the HBT down significantly.

Below is a pic of my named Iwo Jima shirt, he landed with the first wave of marines on the island and was with HQ company, just For a comparison.

A marine in a weapons company or frontline marine would have a heavily used P41.

I have a P42 thats been Camod thats beaten to all hell. He was with a weapons company.

Pic below and hope that helps !

Once again great P41

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions."

Always looking for ww2 USMC items, helmets and any camo'd items

"thinking outside of the box"

New website

https://combatusedmilitaria.com

I'd definitely be interested in seeing some more photos of the HBTs in your collection. That Iwo Jima HBT is an amazing piece of history. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks King

Ill add some others for you happily, Lots of collectors here Im Sure would also be happy to share their combat used ones.

Great thread to show used P41s

Congrats once again ! Great looking HBT you have

- Dean

New website

Dean

Nice marked HB

O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheers O

I’ll get some better pics up of the sleeves and neck area next week.

New website

As promised here is some of mine for comparison,

And after spending time with several of mine it pushed me more towards yours being field used at one time or another.

Below is the collar of the unis marked P41 - and some shots of the pockets and the bleaching that has occurred under the hot Iwo Jima sun. He was HQ company so my opinion is he was not front lines but landed with them. Shirt shows considerable wear but not torn to shreds and filthy.

Owen has some heavily used ones which Im sure where front line marines by the sounds of it.

Under the Unis marked shirt is Andersons P41 with early EGA stamp, his is also bleached. He was with a tank unit on Iwo Jima (wasp).

They show roughly the same wear and tear and both where there.

Under this is an early square pocket P41 which is NOS and not seen combat. Strong colours and stitching throughout. You can start to see how a used in theatre P41 with its bleaching and wear should roughly look.

Not all marines where front line so you can find them With little wear sometimes, but always the bleaching.

Now is my favourite, a named P42 with Okinawa camo added of black and yellow. Sterling was a front line marine in an infantry unit and his shirt tells the story.

Sweat stained, dirty, holes, torn sleeves and back. This is a true combat Shirt and how one should look after being in the thick of it.

Next to that is Andersons P42 which is mint and probably never worn, you can see the stark difference in colour and condition.

Back to your shirt, as its not named we will never know who wore it or where it was worn but it has lots of great character and shows consistent wear with at least 2 of my P41s that have been there.

Once again not every soldier/marine/ sailor was front line.

post-8861-0-65410500-1583771810_thumb.jpeg

post-8861-0-73336800-1583771819_thumb.jpeg

New website

Thanks for posting the pictures of your HBTs. I especially like the camouflaged one. I've never seen one like that before. Hopefully I'll be able to get some named ones in the future. Being a college student, I'm on a pretty low budget, so it takes me a while to find the good stuff.