Named WWII Submarine Chief's Uniform-Served on the USS Rock

mndoss

Earlier this year I got the blue jacket to CY (Chief Yeoman) Basil R. Lyon off eBay. Geoff at Golden Arrow Research was able to get his record for me as well. CY Lyon had an interesting career! He enlisted in the Navy in 1939 for a six-year enlistment. Prior to the US entry into the war he served aboard the USS Ranger and the USS Texas. In April 1943 he transferred from the USS Texas to submarine training in New London, CT. He trained on the USS O-3, a Navy training sub. In Oct 1943 he reported aboard the USS Rock (SS-274), a Gato-class submarine, for her commissioning. He served aboard the Rock for the rest of the war, completing all six wartime patrols she did, two of which were considered successful by ComSubPac. In Dec 1945 when his six year enlistment was up he chose to leave the Navy and continue on with his life. Using his records I was able to restore his jacket with the ribbons and submarine combat patrol pin he rated. I tried to put them as close to the original holes as I could. The uniform came with the patched insignia already on it, which includes the excellent enlisted Submarine Warfare patch on his right sleeve. The trousers are not his but a set I got to complete the uniform. All I need now is a Chief's combination cap, if anyone has one please let me know! CY Lyon had some truly amazing service, serving aboard an aircraft carrier, battleship, and submarine!

post-40432-0-55292800-1583394768_thumb.jpg

Here is his uniform. I'm not sure why some of the pictures oriented to the side...

post-40432-0-50651100-1583395120_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-19298800-1583395128_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-90032300-1583395134_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-03406100-1583395143_thumb.jpg

The Submarine Warfare patch.

post-40432-0-81133100-1583395219_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-68366200-1583395228_thumb.jpg

Some excerpts from his service record.

post-40432-0-73416900-1583395425_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-26245800-1583395460_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-65782800-1583395496_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-70728600-1583395524_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-02982000-1583395572_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-23876600-1583395628_thumb.jpg

post-40432-0-21039900-1583395695_thumb.jpg

Beautiful. Love the 8 button CPO uniform (wish we could have worn that rather than the 6 button Officer style). Great job. Thank you for sharing.

I have a post war SMC uniform that belong to a Sailor who, according to the ribbons enlisted during WW2, then stayed in the reserves until the early 1960s. But, sadly, no name in either coat or trousers.

Old Crow 1986

Another terrific grouping, another tiny bit of history saved, another "nicely done"! Thanks for sharing.

Kurt Barickman

I was watching that on Ebay and knew it was a real dandy and glad you were able to get his records and restore it correctly. Congrats!

Kurt

Thats a great uniform. Comissioning crew on a Manitowac boat, that's pretty cool as well.

The Rock was sure a hard luck boat... when you read the history of their war patrols they seemed to have had a heck of a time. I wish more info was available regarding the sub being struck by a dud torpedo, I bet that's an interesting story as well.

Thats a great uniform. Comissioning crew on a Manitowac boat, that's pretty cool as well.

The Rock was sure a hard luck boat... when you read the history of their war patrols they seemed to have had a heck of a time. I wish more info was available regarding the sub being struck by a dud torpedo, I bet that's an interesting story as well.

You know one thing I was thinking as I was researching this uniform and the Rock was what constituted a successful wartime patrol? During the Rock's fourth war patrol she had her only confirmed sinking of the war, the Takasago Maru No. 7, however this patrol was not considered successful.

Also thanks for the comments everyone!

You know one thing I was thinking as I was researching this uniform and the Rock was what constituted a successful wartime patrol? During the Rock's fourth war patrol she had her only confirmed sinking of the war, the Takasago Maru No. 7, however this patrol was not considered successful.

Also thanks for the comments everyone!

. My father retired from the Navy in 1967. So, most of his peer group were WW2 vets. His last Chief had been a submariner during the war. He was very claustrophobic. He always had been. He was depth charged twice during the war. When the war was over, he stayed in the Navy, but disqualified himself from Submarines (Still wore Dolphins). I asked him why he went into subs at all. He said, there was a war , thats where he was needed. Anyway, his definition of a Successful Patrol, was coming back from it.

Kurt Barickman

I have read about what constituted an successful patrol which would qualify stars on the submarine badge. I can´t remember where right now but I have quite a library on WWII submarines. As I remember it was a judgement call on part of the sub higher command in Pearl?? How many ships should of this submarine sank, how many opportunities for combat, how diligent the commander was in attempting to sink vessels, etc. Sorry I can´t be more specific right now.

Love the tunic.

Kurt

´

• 4 weeks later...

I like it. I threw in an early bid but backed down; no more wool for awhile! If you're into sub stuff, picking up a Yeoman rating is tough. Typically only one per boat on WWII war patrol.

A fine coat. Great add-on restoration. Outstanding records. The sucessful/unsucessful war patrol is news to me. I've always thought that the stars on the submarine combat clasp were automatic for the completion of a war patrol. Live & learn! Semper Fi - Bobgee

A fine coat. Great add-on restoration. Outstanding records. The sucessful/unsucessful war patrol is news to me. I've always thought that the stars on the submarine combat clasp were automatic for the completion of a war patrol. Live & learn! Semper Fi - Bobgee

I thought that too, wasn't until I got his record where I found out that wasn't the case.

• 6 months later...

In terms of historical accuracy, I don't believe this man was authorized the Letter of Commendation ribbon. 

The Letter in his records is from the commanding officer, making this an individual Commendation at the Unit level.  While this Letter is definitely interesting from a historic standpoint and would have had a positive impact on the awardee's naval career, only Letters of Commendation signed by the SecNav, COMSUBLANT, COMSUBPAC or similar higher command will authorize the ribbon (and after the war, the corresponding medal).  I don't see any notation of that in the records shown.

Here's the specific criteria for the Letter of Commendation Ribbon (and later ribbon with metal pendant, bolding is mine for empasis)

The Secretary of the Navy on 11 January 1944 (AlNav-11-44) authorized the Commendation Ribbon and on 22 March 1950 established the Metal Pendant for the Commendation Ribbon. The Commendation Ribbon with Metal Pendant may be worn by authorized personnel in the same manner as prescribed for other decorations or service ribbons. All personnel of the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard who have received an individual letter of commendation signed by the Secretary of the Navy, Commander in Chief, United States Fleet, Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet or Commander in Chief, Atlantic Fleet for an act of heroism or service performed between 6 December 1941 and 11 January 1944, are automatically authorized to wear the Commendation Ribbon with Metal Pendant.

b. All personnel of the above services who subsequently received such a commendation, signed by the Secretary of the Navy or designated authorities, are authorized to wear the Commendation Ribbon with Metal Pendant provided such letter of commendation contains in the text such authorization, signifying the desire of the issuing officer to accord this privilege.

All Letter of Commendation citations that authorize the wear of the ribbon specifically state that the awardee is authorized to wear the ribbon (often with combat device) as noted in paragraph B.  The Letter of Commendation has a long history in the USN that pre-dates the WWII creation of the ribbon.  The ribbon award has additional criteria beyond receiving a Letter, and that criteria derives from what command level the Letter originated from.

Hope this helps deconvolute this man's history a little more!

46 minutes ago, Josh B. said:

Just realized I wrote these in error above as authorizing the LOC ribbon:  COMSUBLANT, COMSUBPAC .  I believe from period paperwork and the award criteria wording  both of those commands were still too low to authorize the Letter of Commendation ribbon.  For WWII Pacific theater actions they are almost always signed by CINCPACFLTs CW Nimitz, RA Spruance, or the SECNAVs F Knox, RA Bard, J Forrestal and (for late awards J Sullivan).