Opinions please.

kwc271

That Depression Era NRA tag is something huh! National Recovery Administration was discontinued in the following year, 1935.

That's very possible, uniforms reissued all the time.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

That's right Billy, and a Marine Corps Officer's Dress Green Uninform or Blue Uniform for that matter is something unlikely to be taken overseas to the tropics, that's why when the 1st Marine Division was pulled off of Guadalcanal and sent to Australia to rest and rebuild, they had to have those local Forest Green Battle Dress uniforms made.

md_9787e0050737-john-basilone-medal-of-h

I’m going to pick up the uniform set Tuesday actually, I forgot that the store is closed on Mondays

As this was an officer's uniform, it should not have been "reissued" as it was never an issue piece in the first place. That being said, it is quite possible that after Parker went missing, a Senior NCO on Guadalcanal latched onto the uniform and converted it for their use. The uniform should have been returned to Parker's widow as the uniform was private purchase and thus, Major Parker's personal property.

Allan

Thank you, I’ll post pics of the whole uniform when I get it. I just gotta get another ega screwback for the left(wearers) side collar

While I agree that an officer's uniform should not have been reissued to a SSgt, we don't know the whole story. This was on Guadalcanal in 1943, maybe the NCO was Lt. Parker's crew chief?

Matt,

I doubt that that uniform was ever on Guadalcanal. Typically Marines don't take their service uniforms on an island invasion. It most likely was donated to someplace like a base thrift store or otherwise acquired by a Staff Non Commissioned Officer. Marine SNCO's are authorized to wear officer grade uniforms with very little modification.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Matt,

I doubt that that uniform was ever on Guadalcanal. Typically Marines don't take their service uniforms on an island invasion. It most likely was donated to someplace like a base thrift store or otherwise acquired by a Staff Non Commissioned Officer. Marine SNCO's are authorized to wear officer grade uniforms with very little modification.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

+ 1

teufelhunde.ret

Matt,

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

+2

Wow! Quite a career. I know it’s part of the uniform’s history, but I kinda wish it didn’t have the NCO stripes on it. After I get it in hand I’m gonna look for any ID on the NCO. Maybe there will be some numbers inside somewhere

Matt,

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Yep, you're right. Dress uniforms would have been left behind.

BILL THE PATCH

I think you made an OUTSTANDING purchase.

Allan

+1

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Sorry to ask, but why did we jump to the conclusion that it is the Marine officer that went missing? Because it is the first match we found?

If you check Muster Rolls, there are a heap of Marines with that name, including one that was a Corporal in the late 20s - which would make the rank on the tunic make sense in the mid-40s.

Not trying to be a kill-joy, but seems like there is some more work to do here. If something does not make sense, there is generally a good reason why (eg - NCO rank on a supposed officer tunic).

Sorry to ask, but why did we jump to the conclusion that it is the Marine officer that went missing? Because it is the first match we found?

If you check Muster Rolls, there are a heap of Marines with that name, including one that was a Corporal in the late 20s - which would make the rank on the tunic make sense in the mid-40s.

Not trying to be a kill-joy, but seems like there is some more work to do here. If something does not make sense, there is generally a good reason why (eg - NCO rank on a supposed officer tunic).

That's a good point, there was even an Ensign Charles Parker on PT-73.

post-32676-0-53617500-1584020650.jpg

aurelius180

The tailors tag is named and dated (1934) to Charles E. Parker. As previously posted the Charles E. Parker that is MIA was commissioned in 1934 which also matches the date on the label.

The tag does say Lieut. Charles E Parker and is dated 1934, soon after he commissioned as an officer. The website I linked also does say he commissioned in Washington DC, the uniform was tailored in the same place.