New Book - Gooney Bird Driver by Jon A. Maguire

Skytrain

Many in the collecting community commented over the years that they felt like they knew my dad because of his photos in the Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens books and in the flight jacket books (written with John Conway). Many suggested that I write his story. My latest book, Gooney Bird Driver, published by Elmgrove Publishing, (Mick Prodger's company) is now available from the publisher or on Amazon. It chronicles dad's military biography and the missions that led to his DFC, Air Medal w 6 OLC and the French Legion d'Honneur. Much of it is written in his own words, as he told me over the years. I hope you enjoy getting to know him a little better.

The book also covers the 27th Air Transport Group, 302nd Transport Wing, Air Service Command, USSTAF as they supported Patton's drive across Europe, after D-Day, with combat cargo and medical evacuation. Their story has been virtually overlooked.

post-9311-0-14223200-1583260059.jpeg

Here is the Preface

There have been countless books published on WW2 pilots of fighters, bombers

and troop carrier aircraft. One group that has largely been overlooked is that of

combat cargo and medical evacuation flyers. These men and women pioneered, on

a large scale, what became “medevac.” As the Allies were driving across Europe after

D-Day, the job of supplying the needs of gasoline, combat cargo and evacuating

wounded was an overwhelming task. Many of these young pilots were pulled from

Troop Carrier Command because they were highly trained in C-47 operations. They

were placed into the 27th and 31st Air Transport Groups under the 302nd Transport

Wing, Air Service Command, USSTAF. They flew unarmed to makeshift landing

zones on the front lines, unloaded gasoline or cargo, and loaded wounded that had

to be evacuated regardless of weather conditions. They were often under fire during

these critical operations. These groups also performed countless other non-combat

transportation of VIPs, POWs, emergency operations and even a secret operation in

Sweden. They played a vital role in the Battle of The Bulge, flying in replacements to

the front lines. They also had many interesting assignments including transporting

the Glenn Miller band. My dad was one of these pilots. I grew up hearing his stories

and those of his buddies in the 27th Air Transport Group. I became their historian

in the 1990s and wrote their unit history. My dad, Joe Maguire, passed in 2016

and I realized that his stories needed to be preserved as a vital part of WW2 history.

I had made a number of recordings of him and I also had a number of his stories

ingrained in my mind. I have told his stories in his words and placed historical

context around them to form his military biography. Joe D. Maguire was awarded

the DFC, Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters, and the French Légion d’Honneur.

He was credited with 35 combat missions and had roughly 1000 theater hours in

the ETO.

Note: The Douglas C-47 aircraft was affectionately known as “Gooney Bird” to those who flew her.