Summer Cap With Shades WWII?

Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Need opinion/information on this cap, which appears to be US WWII construction with shades on the visor. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks!

post-201275-0-59335100-1583246598_thumb.jpg

post-201275-0-43797700-1583246610_thumb.jpg

post-201275-0-80765300-1583246617_thumb.jpg

Panzerfaust

Now that you mention it. It does look like a fishing cap! Just wanted to make sure. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Yep. They are fairly often seen in old sporting photos. The visor style isn't A-1 specific - it was a style known as the "sundowner" visor and was common on many sporting caps. A few years ago some dealer(s) attempted to spread the rumor they were converted B-1s or some other flying cap variant with built in sunglasses. As it happens, these started showing up on eBay as "Rare WWII issue" or "private purchase but used during the war". Fortunately, the false narrative didn't take. Hopefully, you aren't being told such things.

JMO,

Dave

Panzerfaust

Yep. They are fairly often seen in old sporting photos. The visor style isn't A-1 specific - it was a style known as the "sundowner" visor and was common on many sporting caps. A few years ago some dealer(s) attempted to spread the rumor they were converted B-1s or some other flying cap variant with built in sunglasses. As it happens, these started showing up on eBay as "Rare WWII issue" or "private purchase but used during the war". Fortunately, the false narrative didn't take. Hopefully, you aren't being told such things.

JMO,

Dave

Hello Dave,

It was being sold as "WWII" hat, but I wanted to make sure that it was or wasn't? I did not purchase it. Many thanks for the information.

Regards,

Drew

Cool. I thought about making one like this for flying as I wear glasses as well(sunglasses for me have been a thing of the past). Had the thought of using either extra B-8 lenses or 1021 lenses as a starting pattern and using modern, less scarce, materials. I have the feeling the optical clarity would be disappointing and I'm pretty hard on stuff so... The cool factor just isn't there for the modern sportsman!

Love the idea though!

Dave