M7, Conetta and Imperial, M8 sheath markings and 1968 E tool.

I happened upon a store that had a few dozen e tools dated from 1964-1969, canvas covers, and M7 bayonets in a few boxes. I picked out an Ames 1969 e tool and the best canvas cover ( most were torn, broken snaps, etc), and then decided to go through the box of bayonets. I picked these out ( $40 each) ,a " Conetta" and "Imperial" marked bayonet and scabbards. Both I assume are mid Vietnam war, and I noticed both the scabbards marked " US M8A1" and " PWH". My question: The PWH is marked in different style and script on each scabbard. Are they both Vietnam war pieces? One lightly impressed, the other harder impressed, see pics. All comments appreciated.post-180924-0-87038600-1583194564_thumb.jpeg

Great find.

As for the M7s, the Conetta was produced well within the Vietnam war era with contracts off and on from 1966 through 1969. The Imperial came in near the end of the war with a 1973 contract. There two "styles" with Imperial M7s. The one with a near 90° back cut on the blade would be the 1973 contract. The Imperial with a rounded or sloped back cut was made later starting (I believe) 1978, three years after the end of Vietnam.

The M8A1 scabbards you have were both made by "Philadelphia Work Home for the blind." The one on the left is the "wide space" PWH, and the one on the right might be the small PWH. It's a little hard for me to tell, unless the large and small are side by side. The small PWH is early Vietnam and the "wide" and "wide space" ones are (maybe) 1967-1969.

The Conetta is usually the more desirable simply because it's exclusively a Vietnam era used bayonet. I don't think they had any more M7 contracts after 1969. Hope that helps.

Marv

Thank you for the information. I took a pic to confirm your information. The one on the left is Imperial, the Post 1973 model due to the rounded back cut.post-180924-0-20384100-1583255176_thumb.jpeg

Just some food for thought. I always like to through the M7 boxes anywhere, in case I can find that "FZR" (Fraser) M7 my collection lacks. If possible, you might swing back by that store, and take a look. FZRs are quite desirable. GOOD LUCK! SKIP