Question about USMC GCM engraving style

Reforger

I have a question and maybe someone can help me out. I was wondering what year (possibly the exact date) the Marine Corps started naming good conduct medals using the machine impressed/stamped style. So far I have only seen hand engraved USMC GCMs named and dated up to the year 1945. So hand engraving must have been used until at least 1945. Most medals with a stamped name seem to be dated 1945 or later. However, sometimes you see stamped named good conduct medals with a year before 1945, for example 1943. I am very sure these medals were awarded later as they should be hand engraved. Maybe they are replacements, I don't know. But it got me wondering when exactly did the Marine Corps start using machines to name the medals? Is there possibly some official information or document to verify when that happened? Thanks for your help!

I should add that I am referring to the more common larger type machine impressed naming (like you see on many Navy good conduct medals), not the smaller pantograph naming you see on many Army medals.

I have backdated (stamped) Good Conduct Medals in my collection - My understanding is that in early 1942 Good Conduct medal production and engraving ceased for the duration. After VJ Day Production and issuance resumed and engraving firms were overwhelmed with engraving orders for Decorations and Purple Hearts to be sent to NOK - As an expedient way to get medals out The Navy and Marine Corps began using stamping machines to help clear the backlog but hand engraving was still being done also - I suspect that the members of the Regular Marine Corps (indicated as pre December 7th enlistees) received hand engraved medals and Marine Reservists on Active Duty (USMCR) received the stamping machine named medals.

The Navy used stamping on all their Good Conduct Medals after VJ Day up until the early 1950's.

Bill

I have backdated (stamped) Good Conduct Medals in my collection - My understanding is that in early 1942 Good Conduct medal production and engraving ceased for the duration. After VJ Day Production and issuance resumed and engraving firms were overwhelmed with engraving orders for Decorations and Purple Hearts to be sent to NOK - As an expedient way to get medals out The Navy and Marine Corps began using stamping machines to help clear the backlog but hand engraving was still being done also - I suspect that the members of the Regular Marine Corps (indicated as pre December 7th enlistees) received hand engraved medals and Marine Reservists on Active Duty (USMCR) received the stamping machine named medals.

The Navy used stamping on all their Good Conduct Medals after VJ Day up until the early 1950's.

Bill

I did some checking and the Navy resumed issue of GCM's in 1947 or 1948 after suspending issue in early 1942 - Navy Naming ceased in 1953.

Bill

I did some checking and the Navy resumed issue of GCM's in 1947 or 1948 after suspending issue in early 1942 - Navy Naming ceased in 1953.

Bill

+ 1

To answer your question. There is probably no specific date to when the Marine Corps started issuing stamped medals.

Wharfmaster

WW2 USMC GCMs were hand engraved, small impressed/stamped, large impressed/stamped and also issued unnamed. Naming ended for the Marines in 1951.

US Navy hand engraving for GCMs ended around mid 1942. Medals issued and named after WW2, 1947 to 1953 are found in small and large impressed naming.

For the record, small impressed ( stamped ) naming used at the end of WW2 is not pantograph engraving, it is stamped with a die. Metal is displaced, not removed with a bit.

Wharf

post-525-0-29088700-1583193077_thumb.jpg

That is some very interesting and helpful information! Great to know that about the Navy GCMs. I wonder if there is some way to check if the Marines did the same thing the Navy did and only resumed naming GCMs again starting 1947. If there is some way to find that out, that would definitely be the answer to the question.

By the way, Wharfmaster, those three medals you show are great and a good comparison for the different styles!

• 9 months later...

Bringing back this post - Here is a recent acquisition - Charles Cross enlisted in 1938 and was entitled to his Good Conduct Medal in 1942 - However in 1942 He was a "Guest of the Emperor" following the 4th Marines Surrender at Fort Mills in the Philippines

Bill

IMG_3984.JPG

• 2 months later...

The latest issue date I have documented for an engraved USMC GCM is August, 1949. I have three other similar medals, all with transmittal letters dated 1948 or 1949.  I also have an impressed GCM dated 1942 with 2nd and 3rd award bars. The award certificate for the medal and two bars is dated March, 1950. The medal was probably issued at the same time as the certificate but this is an unconfirmed assumption.

u 1945 chaffee.jpg

u 1945 1949 08 chaffee a.jpg