Replacement and school command patch

gunner

Looking for information on the replacement and school command patch in ww2. Who wore this patch and what did they do?

I recently found out my great grandfather was in the army in ww2 for a few months. Idk the whole story yet but the picture we found he is wearing this patch. I am curious about this unit and why hed be wearing this patch only having been in the Army a few months

Thanks for any help

After the shoulder patch was adopted, The Replacement and School Command was worn usually by the cadre and commanders etc of posts conducting basic and branch training, the Replacement Training Centers, these being all except the following, Field Artillery, Armored Fores, Tank Destroyer Forces, Antiaircraft Artillery, and perhaps the Army Service Forces, these organizations wore their own unique shoulder patch. Some whole TO&E Units could be wearing them, these being units assigned as School Troops or School Support, one example of this would be the The 3rd Battalion and Company D of the 166th Infantry Regiment (Separate) they were assigned to the Replacement and School Command at Fort Sill. Company D, this unit probably gave some kind of support to the Field Artillery Replacement and Training Center, but did not fall directly under that organization.

ARMY REGULATIONS No. 600-40 WAR DEPARTMENT 31 March 1944 State and I Quote

Replacement and School Command Army Ground Forces.
b. Shoulder sleeve insignia are not authorized for wear by trainees at replace-
ments training centers.

What that means is Trainees would not wear that patch, only Drill Sergeants Training Unit Commanders, Cadre Instructors, and any fully trained and permanently assigned people, like Cooks, Clerks, Vehicle Drivers, Supply guys etc

So weird. We can only find that my grandfather was in the Army for three months in 1944 and this picture he has this patch. His rank is listed as Private and no branch assigned. Hmm head scratcher

post-3483-0-08911400-1583122561_thumb.jpeg

post-34986-0-20558400-1583167755.jpg

Very odd, are you sure he was in for olny three months? if so that means he did not complete his Basic, do you know why he was discharged early?

No we cant find any other info besides his service number. His enlistment date and his discharge 3 months later. Not sure what happened. It says he has no branch and this photo looks like he has two us collar discs.

No we cant find any other info besides his service number. His enlistment date and his discharge 3 months later. Not sure what happened. It says he has no branch and this photo looks like he has two us collar discs.

Hmm, a mystery. The patch should of been worn, but it is as we see, if he wasn't disc hared so quickly, one guess might of been he completed some of his basic, and was dismissed from his basic unit cause of some reason to be discharged and was very briefly assigned to some other unit marking time before discharge and thus wore the patch

For your information, the wear of double U.S. Collar Discs is the common form of soldiers under going basic, don't known if tey still do it now, but it was done n my day, posed for my service portrait at Ft Benning literally 40 years ago, late February 1980 in Class A wearing the U.S. on that side, in fact two were issued along with the Class A and Khaki dress items.

Do you know what Army post this all was at?

When I did Infantry osut at Benning we didnt get our crossed rifles until the basic portion of training was done but we never wore double us.

Im not sure where this was. He enlisted in Boston Ma so maybe fort devins?? I have no idea and idk how it worked back then

Fort Devens was not a Replacement Training Center, he may have processed in at Devens, Devens was a regional In processing Center, with draftees moving on to their respective branch replacement training centers, it was also a Divisional Camp, early in the war, 1942, the 1st, 32nd and 45th Infantry Divisions were garrisoned there, but your Great Grandfather will of course not fall under this.

Gunner, what did you wear on the left (if you wore collar discs in OSUT)? In 1970, we wore two "U.S." discs in BCT.

We didnt wear class A/Bs until we graduated. We got our cross rifles pinned right into our chests while wearing camouflage blouse