Battle of Midway - Torpedo 8 Tribute Art

Old Crow 1986

Old Crow 1986

I picked up this pencil on paper tribute drawing at an estate sale. Neither Navy aviation nor artwork are the focus of my collecting efforts, but it does illustrate a secondary goal of mine. That is, to give unique pieces sanctuary until a good, permanent home is found.

post-288817-0-68336900-1583091810_thumb.jpg

I believe it to be a tribute to VT-8, likely composed in the early 1950s based on the other pieces in the estate collection.

The artist – who is now my first research project – may have gotten some details not quite right (VT-8 squadron patch seems a bit off, the technically correct use of the Avenger vs. m-a-y-b-e more appropriate Devastator as the representative aircraft). But nits aside, Private Donald Peters, USMC had some artistic skill!

post-288817-0-44346100-1583091882.jpg

post-288817-0-74394300-1583091924.jpg

Please look the work over and PLEASE bring on ANY constructive criticisms or comments of my sleuthing, research, guessing efforts. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t value your opinions.

BTW – I consider this my first “save” of an artifact.

The Avenger is my favorite naval aircraft, a lumbering beast and fascinating history on its developement. This one I have is much to big to hang inside ( along with my F18-42" long) with a 40" wing span....so currently hanging in my garage until rotation. The detail is fabulous, gear retracts, guns and bubble rotate, canopies slide open,...post-180924-0-57708900-1583099166_thumb.jpeg

The Avenger is my favorite naval aircraft, a lumbering beast and fascinating history on its developement. This one I have is much to big to hang inside ( along with my F18-42" long) with a 40" wing span....so currently hanging in my garage until rotation. The detail is fabulous, gear retracts, guns and bubble rotate, canopies slide open,...post-180924-0-57708900-1583099166_thumb.jpeg

Sorry about the double post pics, it seems to happen when my internet is snail slow...ever notice the seat behind the pilot is empty? That's the way they flew,crew of three, Pilot, turret gunner, and one in the belly operating radios, bombardier and lower gunner position all in one, when not preparing to drop the torpedo.

I like the artwork but most of all I like the way you are given it sanctuary until a permanent home is found. I believe someone here would be glad to give it a good home.

Marty

vt-8 also had a few advengers on midway it was part of vt 8 they were training with the new TBF to soon replace the devasters

Old Crow 1986

vt-8 also had a few advengers on midway it was part of vt 8 they were training with the new TBF to soon replace the devasters

Copy all! Your input and this post:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57155-wwii-torpedo-squadron-8-grouping-midway/?hl=brannon

among MANY others here have shown me how little I know about military history...even though I've been self studying for 40+ years.

Also the above post inspired me to save what I could from Goodwill, the trash heap, or Little Johnny's crayons.

I saw this original tribute to an incredibly heroic group of Americans and KNEW I couldn't just walk away.

Thanks for your inputs - truly appreciate your taking the time to comment and drop a little knowledge on me.

Old Crow 1986

Who is the model made by?

Just to clarify - Old Crow 1986 only posted the drawing.

917601 will have to come up on the net and answer your model question.

From Torpedo Squadron 8 War Diary...

post-8013-0-92943500-1583187690_thumb.jpg

document from fold3

Larry

Who is the model made by?

Sorry for the delay, " Admiral Toys", I inherited about 30 1:18 scale models and did not realize the popularity. They are all pre built , painted, etc, and snap together.Radoms open, gear goes down, cockpits open, cowls open, etc... Admiral makes limited, one time runs, of each model, as does 21st Century.The SBD I have posted in the past came out in 2009, this Avenger similar time period. They made a run like mine "17", and another with Squadron 19 markings....not cheap, eBay has one NIB at $600, their F14 NIB was $2200! I saw a " used" SBD ( not in box) go for $200 plus shipping, one right now is $250, I had no idea ( or interest) what they go for. A Hobby shop owner near me said he has restaurants, bar owners, etc buy all he can find. Not for everybody tho, they are huge, the F18 is 42" long- but the immaculate detail and working parts amaze me....I have 7 hanging from the war room ceiling, gives it that " Smithsonian" museum look.