1944 S&W VICTORY revolver

JosephC

story i got from seller is he got it from someone who said it was a pilots revolver and the burn mark on the grip (I find hard to believe) is from grabbing it from a fire; crash of some kind.

I would heavily discount the story from the seller, although it could very well have been a Navy or USMC aviator's gun. I don't believe it has been refurbished; that's not what the S means. It appears to be a tidy example and probably shipped in mid-1944. Charlie (moderator) may come along and pin it down more closely.

story i got from seller is he got it from someone who said it was a pilots revolver and the burn mark on the grip (I find hard to believe) is from grabbing it from a fire; crash of some kind.

These were used by some Pilots during WW2. They were not as bulky as the 1911A1's. Very nice find. Here is what you need to finish it off, nice "1944 Boyt USN" S&W Pilots Holster like mine.

Congrats,

Sal

post-10083-0-75435100-1583030609.jpg

The S has to do with if it was originally built with the improved hammer block.

IIRC if originally built with the hammer block it would have the S machine stamped. The S would also be found on the upper left corner of the right side plate.

If the S is found being hand stamped, it was added after production.

Best I can remember right now....

Cheers,

Charlie-Painter777

HERE..... See Moore's Cool Gun Site,

http://www.coolgunsite.com/

CLICK ON 'REV. GALLERY'.......... NOW SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE TO:

WWII VICTORY MODEL NOTES PAGES........ SEE; OTHER COMMON MARKINGS,

everforward

I would heavily discount the story from the seller, although it could very well have been a Navy or USMC aviator's gun. I don't believe it has been refurbished; that's not what the S means. It appears to be a tidy example and probably shipped in mid-1944. Charlie (moderator) may come along and pin it down more closely.

The one I had was identical to this one except it was marked “Property U.S. Navy” on top of the frame.....

very nice Victory - did you check the underside of the grips to see if they are number matched?

It appears to match.

post-967-0-56640600-1583077612_thumb.jpg

These were used by some Pilots during WW2. They were not as bulky as the 1911A1's. Very nice find. Here is what you need to finish it off, nice "1944 Boyt USN" S&W Pilots Holster like mine.

Congrats,

Sal

That looks like a 5 inch BSR in a nice US holster.

Charlie Flick

JosephC:

Thanks for posting the pics of your very nice and original Victory. When you contacted me about it a couple of weeks ago you did not yet have pics available. Now that I have seen them I will affirm my earlier statement to you, based on the Victory Model Database, that your revolver likely shipped from the S&W factory in the May, 1944 time frame. It was likely a shipment made to the US Navy.

The S mark you mentioned is simply a fitter's, assembler's or inspector's marking. It has little significance today.

In contrast, the S mark mentioned above by Painter is found on the upper side plate and butt. It was intended to readily signify that the revolver had been equipped with the new safety hammer block. Hiding that mark on the frame under the stock would not accomplish the purpose of identifying those revolvers with the new safety hammer block.

Congrats on a very nice example.

Regards,

Charlie

Have had several Victory models in my collection for years. The last 2 were a 5" British Lend Lease, the other interesting one (4" model) came from the estate of Adm. William E. Gentner. He was a WW2 Naval aviator and carried the Victory model during combat air missions. Later became 6th Fleet commander. Think I posted pics here someplace last year. Both have factory documentation.

Charlie Flick

Wouldn't it have the US Navy property stamp on the top strap if it went to the navy?

Nope, not necessarily. The Victory Model revolvers had U.S. NAVY marked on the left top strap below serial number approximately V265XXX. Above that serial number Navy shipped Victory revolvers had left top strap markings of ð U.S. PROPERTY GHD. A few Navy shipped Victories had no top strap markings at all.

Charlie

Several years ago I spoke directly with the S&W Historian, Roy Jinks, and he told me that the vast majority of Victory revolvers marked US Property were shipped to the Navy. Makes sense, you rarely see photos of Army personnel with Victory revolvers.

Maybe shipped through the Navy and marked U.S. PROPERTY because so many were for lend lease.

I believe I read (or dreamed :wacko: ) that the NAVY marked ones were the rarest in totals.

Maybe shipped through the Navy and marked U.S. PROPERTY because so many were for lend lease.

I believe I read (or dreamed :wacko: ) that the NAVY marked ones were the rarest in totals.

No, Lend-Lease guns did not go through the Navy. Most of them are easily identified because they are marked "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" (spelled out), have 5 inch barrels and are chambered in .38 S&W. When the Ordnance Dept. (Army) took over small arms purchases for all service branches the top strap marking changed from "U.S. NAVY" to "U.S. PROPERTY."