92nd BG 323rd BS POW - Bring Back 75 General Assault Badge

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

This group popped up at an estate sale. The family split the stuff up in several directions, but I'm trying to put more of it together. The man was 92nd BG 323rd BS B-17 navigator shot down in July 1943 and ended up in Stalag Luft III. Liberated in 1945. Caterpillar Club. I picked up most of his paperwork, dog tag, ID card, bracelet and this badge. I can't explain where he got it, but he brought back the 75 general assault badge shown. He also brought back an armband and a german labor piece, but the prices were so far out in space we couldn't justify the expense on those two. I am hopeful I can get the caterpillar pin and some medals still. Best ABN

post-1800-0-47144200-1582946649_thumb.jpg

Neat stuff. There was an interesting article about his brother singlehandedly going to liberate him from the POW camp, if I recall he was afraid the POWs were about to be executed with the germans losing the war. There is also a Rolex given to him but again the sellers price is WWAAAYYY out there.

It's one of the early oyster types that Hans Wilsdorf was selling to POWs. Not sure of reference number (paperwork says ref 5944} but Lt. Bru received his in Nov 1944. They're selling the watch and a lot of his POW items including his pow dogtag, pow mail, pow ID, etc. The dial on the watch is rough. The seller doesn't understand that reference is more important than history with watches, they see a perfect chronograph pow watch sold for a lot in 2015 so think theirs is worth a fortune. I like it but think my offer would be insulting to them so didn't bother.

USCapturephotos

Too bad about it all being split up. Thanks for sharing with us. When you mentioned about having no idea how he got the rare general assault badge, it reminded me. I have a grouping from a US POW from the 96th BG. There are a few German souvenirs in his group including two cut off uniform pieces from a 3rd SS uniform tunic. Strange as they were mostly fighting in the East and ended up surrendering in Austria nowhere near where he was a POW as far as I can tell. The pieces were definitely salty and worn not from a tunic in a warehouse.

Anyway, thanks again.

Paul