Is this the same person

Dirk

Playing the guessing game, I'd say they are not the same person. Shadow cast by the brim of his lid doesn't help, but other small features make me think two different guys. Nice pics regardless

Captainofthe7th

I vote no.

Though the ears and eyes appear similar, I think the man on the left has a sharper nose, thinner face (jaw line), different hair line, and the middle area of the ear is different. Also his ears lay flatter against his head.

Rob

I think it is a pretty good match. Taking into account the weight change and aging of the subject.The eyes and ears are a good match.So is the nose.Even the stare and pose are a good match.Eyebrow length and shape and relation to corner of eye is close.

Yep! Both have two eyes, two years and one nose! It's a match!

It's actually fascinating that a number of people looking at the same thing see them totally differently.

Thank you all for your inputs. I go back and forth hoping it is/thinking it is not, because the man on the right is identified as a known Boxer participant. Even if they turn out not to be the same man, I think there is an association with the Boxer Rebellion. Given the unusual khkaki uniform and the studio's location in conjunction with known movements of many of the participants post campaign and even the card stock used for this cabinet card would lead me toward that conclusion. What I wonder is if the collar device could provide a clue to solving it.

I vote for yes: the straight slope of the nose, the shape of the eyebrows, the dark curved line above the eyelids, the dark shadows around the eye, the twists on the end of the mustache: they all match.

MARINE.jpg

marine-eyes.jpg

The Marine wearing the kimono is Pvt Oscar Upham, MOH...that photo is in the Marine Archives. my guess is the fullness of the face is the photo is taken before the seige at a Japanese owned photo studio in Hong Kong during a stop during the Oregon's cruise. The Khaki wearing gentleman image was taken in the same studio with the same cardstock frame as used in the 1st image. Is this the face of a Marine that spent 55 days under fire? Going to need a new uniform after that period and we know the guards only brought the clothes on their backs. In fact the Legation women had to make pants for some of the men well into the seige as their own issue clothing gave out. Hong Kong was a stop for the men after the seige was lifted on their way home. Thinner face=reduced diet after all they were down to eating horse meat and rice. A lot similar eyes, facial expression, nose, but ears are unquie to each of us....do the ears match?.,..and what is that device on his collar? Lastly would he be allowed to keep that facial hair one month after liberation?

I believe the ears match, beyond a reasonable doubt, along with eyes, brows, nostrils and mouth. Ears can appear to be different as far as how much they "stick out" based on a different head aspect. And the camera magnifies even a slight weight difference in face fullness. The fact they are from the same studio can't be ignored and would make a coincidence that is more unbelievable than accepting that as further evidence that it is the same person, not a doppelganger or twin.

Hong Kong had a lot of studios on that street he could have chosen, interesting the khaki wearer went to the same one...or back to the same one

Hong Kong had a lot of studios on that street he could have chosen interesting the khaki wearer went to the same one...or back to the same one

Yes indeed. "the simplest solution is most likely the right one"