Some Very Rare Boxer Rebellion Pictures

Dirk

All these photos are in the History Division of the Marine Corps collection. Many years ago I thought there was no American photographer along with the China Expeditionary Relief Column, only Europeans....well I was wrong, within the last few I learned I was very wrong. There were at least two American civilian reporters with cameras along for the March and today I got to examine an album in the Littleton Waller Collection. Who had the camera that recorded these images, I am not sure but the album contains several shots of Waller and his Battalion and several other Allies. This small album has a number of images that change some of the ideas I had about uniforms, positions of EGAs etc. plus it's nice to see some of the terrain that up to today I had only read about or showed occupied by other allied troops.

The first Image is of Major's Biddle and Waller on the march to Peking. Note Major Biddle is wearing his EGA on the front of his field hat. They are in Khaki. The Cavite Marines that landed with, and after Myers were all issued Khaki and Krags. I have also found images in other publications of Marine wearing 4 pocket Khaki jackets

The second image shows two of the three US columns marching toward what would be the Battle of Yangtsun. The 9th Infantry is to the far left, while the main column is of Marines. The 14th Infantry is off camera to the right. You can see just how flat and unforbidding the terrain was, barren and dusty and very open for much of the March. What I find exciting is somewhere in that gaggle of men is the man whose China Relief Medal I am the caretaker for.

IMG_8485.JPG

IMG_8480.jpg

The top image is a good study in show they wear kitted out for the March and how they looked after several days. Some wear EGAs while others do not. I believe the front three are officers. The second image shows a company moving to join the column and two of their ambulances. Smedley Butler would ride occasionally in one as he was still recovering from his first wound. Have also just learned from Bob G that one of the officers is Louis McCarty Little.

IMG_8482.JPG

IMG_8513.jpg

Maj Waller at rest during the march. Waller looks like he is wearing a vented Army campaign hat with EGA mounted center. Next a rare shot taken from the wall as Reilly's Battery clears the gates to the Imperial City. Several companies of Marines line the top of the wall where the images was taken to provide covering fire for the battery as it busted through gate after gate: A, C, and D companies.

IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8516.JPG

olivedrab1970

I remember seeing many of these pics while at MCRD San Diego in the Command Museum, Dan Daly and Smedley Butler instantly come to mind with the Boxer Rebellion. I loved learning the history of The Corps!

R. Delaney-

Thanks guys! Speaking of Butler, in the Waller Collection there is a letter from Butlers father to Waller dated 15 Aug 1900, the same day the last photo I posted was taken, praising Waller for keeping "Smed" as he calls his son, safe.