Flea market grouping find that was just too good to be true

Tonomachi

I picked up this grouping at the flea market that once belonged to a US Army Lt Colonel who was a qualified helicopter pilot. I immediately noticed the USN Navy Seal Trident pinned above the right pocket. I've heard of one other individual who was a Navy Seal and wanted to fly but could not do so in the Navy so he had to leave the Navy and join the Army to become a pilot. This grouping was supposedly sitting inside of an abandoned trailer on a farm in the country where mice had eaten through a number of storage boxes. The flea market seller knew very little about militaria so I don't believe he added anything and the insignia on the uniform shows signs of having been pinned on for awhile with the pressing of material when you remove the rear clutch backs. There was paperwork mostly from this Lt Colonel's father who was a Philippine Scout between 1925 through 1931. However among all of this paperwork I did find a copy of the Lt Colonel's DD214 when he was a Captain in November of 1980. There is no mention of his eligibility to wear the paratrooper wings, pathfinder badge, ranger tab or USN Trident. In addition there is no mention of the Silver Star or Bronze Star. I guess this individual could have gone through airborne, pathfinder, ranger school and BUD/S afterwards once he was in the reserves but I doubt it. Then there is the numerals "45" on the Air Medal ribbon. I could tell from the upside down spaced triangular three holes above the right pocket on the green dress jackets that a Trident was pinned to these uniforms as well. I'm guessing he miniature insignia goes on the white dress jacket. So I couldn't find anything on the Internet about this individual being a Seal so my last option was to pay the 20 dollar fee to have a former retired Navy Seal check their database to see if this individual was a Seal. I confirmed what I suspected that he was never a Navy Seal so this puts into question the other mentioned questionable items on this uniform. I have erased the name of this individual in the photos as I cannot prove that he ever wore them but I suspect he did. This individual is or was the chairperson for a local military veteran's commission.

post-1389-0-51557700-1582926779.jpg

post-1389-0-29262400-1582926790.jpg

post-1389-0-81712300-1582926799.jpg

easterneagle87

Well, you got some great pieces to part out. Hopefully that part of the investment will pay for it's self. The party suit is typical of a Korean tour and it in itself is pretty sweet.

• 1 month later...

No Unit Citations for VN ( Everyone was authorized at least one)...no UN Korea ribbon with a Korea War Service ? Nic Party Suit!

2 thoughts on this uniform. 1 the enlisted good conduct medal and Korean war service. He could have had a earlier army career and discharge with a different army serial number and DD 214, hence explaining some of the unrepresented medals and airborne training. There was a guy near me who fought in Korea as a marine then joined the army later to fly helicopters and got the CMH in Vietnam. 2 he flew attack helicopters possibly in support of Navy Seals, The badge is being worn in the position of foreign wings and may not represent his completion of BUD/S. Just a couple of guesses. Very complete grouping. Very high number of air medals. I would keep it together.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

At least the guy was consistent with his medals and ribbons...even though they are a mess and missing medals and devices...unless he didn't earn them. The group honestly doesn't make much sense to me...I think you've got a "stolen valor" group on your hands.