My First try at Model Building in Almost 40 Years

mikie

I've been allowed to go back to work, but my wonderful wife is working from home. She stole back her computer table that I stole to work on the model. But I did manage to put in an hour or two week or so back. I'm still not happy with the dazzle, so have tried redoing it again. Here it is as of today.

post-2687-0-42777800-1586375826_thumb.jpg

Seeing some of the work you folks have been doing lately almost makes me embarrassed to show this. But I'm not. I'm in here for a penny, in for a pound.

Manny, your DD is incredible!

Maybe I'll make mine a model of AFTER it was sunk!

I'm just in this for the fun, so don't mind if you get a laugh from it. Just as long as it doesn't make you sick. But I would like to hear any stories or see any pictures about any early attempts or disasters you folks may have.

Take care everyone and happy modeling!

Mikie

Hey Mikie, thanks for the compliment and the laugh regarding the sinking. Listen you have the right attitude. Its to have fun, relax (although I can get angry with a model), but that's just me; but I've digressed. I myself, I like the way the dazzle is coming out. I've built three ships and have yet attempted to do that so don't fret. During these trying times, time is what we have on our hands. I'm still looking forward to the finished product. Be safe.

Semper Fi.

Manny

aerialbridge

I like. That dazzle is not easy to do. If this one didn't take out the enemy, at least it made them dizzy.

post-18406-0-87871600-1586484499_thumb.jpg

I think the paint looks fine. Manny is right, just have fun and take your mind off of things while you are working. Anyone that has ever built models has disasters they would rather not remember.

Keep at it.

Dennis

I like. That dazzle is not easy to do. If this one didn't take out the enemy, at least it made them dizzy.

Gadzooks! Look at that point job! No way I'm gonna try that! Not gonna even think about it!

Mikie

Hey Mikie, thanks for the compliment and the laugh regarding the sinking. Listen you have the right attitude. Its to have fun, relax (although I can get angry with a model), but that's just me; but I've digressed. I myself, I like the way the dazzle is coming out. I've built three ships and have yet attempted to do that so don't fret. During these trying times, time is what we have on our hands. I'm still looking forward to the finished product. Be safe.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Sent

Hey, if I made you folks laugh, it's all worth while to me! I know I can't make any serious input to the Modeling section. But lightening your day just a little is my small payback for enjoying seeing the magic you all can do with some plastic and paint.

Mikie

Mikie

aerialbridge

Gadzooks! Look at that point job! No way I'm gonna try that! Not gonna even think about it!

Mikie

Isn't that amazing? Working on that in small scale for hours could likely cause a severe headache, temporary blindness or loss of consciousness. Your razzle dazzle is much easier on the eye.

I believe that WWI pattern was designed to confuse the optics on a range finder.

Others more typical of WWII were designed to confuse the viewer as to the size of the ship and which direction it was headed.

One of my favourites from WWI was a large troop transport that had the outline of a destroyer painted on the side of it, complete with bow waves.

Since deciding to start this, I've done quite a bit of reading about various Navy camouflage schemes. Its a fascinating subject all by itself. Just my education from doing this model makes it all worthwhile. No matter how the darned thing finally comes out.

Thanks again to you all for the tips, pointers, encouragement and for just looking in here. Hopefully I will be able to squeeze in an hour or two on it this weekend.

Take care everyone!

Mikie

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. Hope you all are doing well!  

Since my wonderful wife has been working from home, my chance to borrow the computer table to work on my DE has been limited.  I've worked on it in little bits here and there.  There are just some of the small details to finish up.  The other night I came up with a brilliant way to display it without being too embarrassed to compare it to the amazing model work around here.  Here she is at the battle of Samar protecting Taffy 3 with a smokescreen!  Pretty good, eh?  

I've been enjoying watching the builds going on around here and on WMF.

Take care! 

Mikie

Smoke Screen .jpg

stratasfan

Mikie . . . I LOVE the smokescreen! It is brilliant! :) 

Hey Mikie, that is camo overkill. You have dazzle camo and smokescreen. Looking forward to the ship.

Semper Fi.

Manny

OK, here she is as of today.  No smoke.  Still some fiddly bits to go.  I'm not happy with the dazzle but decided I've reached my capacity to make it much better at this point.

The arthritis in my hand makes doing the very small parts a bit tricky.  There are several AA guns and a searchlight sunk into the depths of the carpeting under the table.  Good thing the kit came with an entire second set of parts.   

I found that neat wood oval that my insanity thinks it would be cool to do an ocean surface on. 

Sorry for the lousy photograph.  That seems to be the best my phone camera can do.  Probably a blessing.  

Enjoy!

Mikie 

DE 5-19-2020.jpg

While I'm thinking about it, here is the chart that I used to guide the paint pattern, and a photo of the Butler. 

Dazzle Method 32 11D.jpg

ban_johncbutlerclass.jpg

Proud Kraut

Your first model building in almost 40 years? I think you did a very good job. I had much fun following your posts, well done! Really looking forward to your next modeling project!

Hey Mikie, after 40 years I think you did a very decent job on your ship, USS Butler. I like the dazzle. Remember the dazzle was just to break up the ships pattern in the horizon, so take some "sea level" pics too. I like it a lot.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 7 months later...

While on a USNR cruise in the Summer of 1954 I had the experience of being the helmsman for 45 minutes during the midnight watch while cruising down the Pacific coast from Portland, OR. to San Pedro, Ca. This thread brought back some fun memories from that cruise. It wasn't until years later that I learned of the Butler's role in "Taffy 3" during WW2.

Chuck.

Wow, Chuck! I never imagined when I started this thread that there was someone around here who actually served aboard her! What an honor! I'm glad to have revived some good memories for you. She had a long career but those few hours in 1944 will keep her memory alive forever.

Mikie

• 2 months later...

I was recently reminded that while the Butler was my first model kit build in almost 40 years, about 4 years ago, I did make a scratch built diorama of the USS Macon and Hangar 1 at Moffett Field.  I just posted about it elsewhere here on the USMF modeling forum. 

As for the DE, we recently rearranged our house, and I may again have some workspace to give it another try.  Our houseguests stranded with us due to Covid have moved on.  And we set up my wife's home office in the spare bedroom. Unfortunately, the arthritis in my hands is worse than it was a year ago, so doubt if I can do much improvement on it now.  But I may give it a go once I dig it out. 

Thank you all again for checking in here with all your comments and encouragement.  I am in perpetual awe for all the skills you folks show.  

Happy modeling!

Mikie   

Hey Mikie, I hope you continue with the USS Butler. I didn't want you to remove the the smokescreen. I just wanted to see that dazzle camo. Be well and Happy Modeling to you too.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

And now we are looking forward to see your next project started, Mikie. Please do not wait another 40 years!