Sign in to follow this  
skautdog

Firearm Display Question

I recently obtained a Harpers Ferry 1805 Pistol. I am seriously considering displaying it in my home office (as opposed to keeping it secure in my gun safe).

I know fire and theft are considerations (have monitored intrusion detection and fire system) and I need to be aware of UV exposure. What other pros and cons do I need to consider before deciding to go ahead and have the pistol on the wall versus in the safe?

TIA

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less."

GEN Robert E. Lee

Get UV glass for the case. Or don't let the sun light shine on it.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Collecting Marine Raider Groups

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

While all wood is vulnerable to UV damage, firearms aren't overly light sensitive. As long as you avoid direct sunlight, in normal conditions, the UV damage will be fairly negligible. UV filtered or LED lighting can pretty much make that something not needing to be overly worried about. The greater risk is probably theft, followed by humidity and temperature fluctuations. But if you enjoy viewing it, put it on the wall and accept any risk as a trade off to enjoying your collection. (And make sure it's not too easy for guests or kids to take down and mess with. Not much chance of accidentally firing a flint mechanism- but dry snapping the cock is no good).

PRO- You get to actually enjoy it!

I display (under the appropriate conditions) everything I possibly can. I spend my hard earned money to buy things I like and things that intrest me. If I'm going to buy something just to lock it away and look at it once a year... not really sure what the point is in having it.

When I was younger, I bought several items that I kept stored away thinking, "one day my kids will want this". Then, my kids grew up and didn't have the same interests as I do. I basically ended up storing items for 25 years for someone else to enjoy.

Display it and enjoy it, time goes by way too fast.

Thanks to all of you for your insight and comments!

Ken

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less."

GEN Robert E. Lee