Artillery round

cagedfalcon

Good morning

A neighbor was wondering what this 7 inch shell was. Primer looks to be intact?

ThanksPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The flaming bomb ordnance acceptance stamping on the headcase indicates it is a US 37mm. Projectile and fuze not live. The unstruck primer on the case would appear to be " live", however all the WW1 ordnance like this was brought back as souveneers and powder was emptied, and primers were deactivated by striking them or dropping alittle oil into them. The projectile should be easy enough to remove to put the scardy cat's mind at ease. Use the inertia method so as to not nick it up. Once removed, squirt some penetrating oil to the inside of the primer hole. An unstruck primer always adds alittle value.

The flaming bomb ordnance acceptance stamping on the headcase indicates it is a US 37mm. Projectile and fuze not live. The unstruck primer on the case would appear to be " live", however all the WW1 ordnance like this was brought back as souveneers and powder was emptied, and primers were deactivated by striking them or dropping alittle oil into them. The projectile should be easy enough to remove to put the scardy cat's mind at ease. Use the inertia method so as to not nick it up. Once removed, squirt some penetrating oil to the inside of the primer hole. An unstruck primer always adds alittle value.

How did you determine the round isn't live?

Will, I bought it.

When I hold it by the projectile & flick the shell brass, it rings. I wouldn't do that if it still had a charge loaded.

Thanks to all.

French Model 1885 37 MM.

Used by the French and Americans during WI and early/limited use in WWII.

The gun was either used on a fixed tripod or wheeled carriage.

Initially 2 types of Ammunition were used, a 1-pound solid steel shell and a high explosive round filled with black powder..

I believe the PDP stands for the factory, “Pouderies de Paris”, and 37-85 means 37mm model of 1885. The 1.17 is the manufacture date, January 1917.

The number 334 is most likely the lot number.

The Flaming cannon ball Ordnance inspectors acceptance stamp.

I recall seeing a couple styles of the cannon ball/flames. Maybe the difference being one style French vs American stamp ?

IDK for sure but believe the early US M1917 Renault tanks may have used these.

There was a lot of 37mm use, much more than I know about.

Here is a past auction with a round like yours:

https://www.soldusa.com/Listing/Details/6329151/WW1-French-Hotchkiss-37mm-Shell-HS-3785-PDPs-411-9-17-with-Flaming-Bomb-Inert

I found a picture, just not sure if it's a Model of 1916 or 1885...

m1916-37mm-tripod-2.jpg?fit=1024%2C634&s

Let us know if it's loaded :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Charlie-Painter777

Shell to projectile fit was VERY tight but I got it apart..by hand, no powder. Not sure about primer though .

If you're worried about the primer, squirt it WD 40...that will kill it beyond all doubt.

Its just a primer, do you worry about the primers in your rounds for a rifle or pistol?

If you're worried about the primer, squirt it WD 40...that will kill it beyond all doubt.

Its just a primer, do you worry about the primers in your rounds for a rifle or pistol?

Not worried one bit. Just more aesthetic value.