A life along the Rosebud

tarbridge

I'm honored to be the caretaker of this Purple Heart to Reuben Red Feather...a child of the Rosebud...

Pvt Reuben E. Red Feather (Sicangu Lakota) Sioux was a young draftee when enlisting at Fort Snelling. He crossed the Atlantic and fought in L Co., 3rd Battalion, 317th Infantry Regiment, 80th Infantry Division in Northeast France. Wounded in combat, he was awarded the Purple Heart. On 18 November, while scouting on the German enemy frontier in Marienthal, Pvt Red Feather failed to rejoin his platoon. Two weeks later, the young Lakota from Rosebud was found to have been killed in action. After the war, his remains were repatriated for burial in ancestral ground.

A long time ago, the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Woman came to Earth and gave the Lakota people a Sacred Pipe and a small round stone.

These gifts were to be used in the first rite, Keeping of the Soul, which she taught them. She also said six other rituals would be revealed to them.

Then, she left the people saying,

"There will be four ages, and I will look in on you once each age. At the end of the four ages, I will return."

Screenshot_20200227-214959_Chrome.jpg20200227_173056.jpg20200227_173112.jpg

Nice ! i remember this heart from years ago selling on Ebay to a certain dealer !!! Great that you snagged it !

I have chased this Purple Heart for years...I tried to buy this medal when it sold on Ebay also.

Its a rare piece of history ! It had to be 15 years ago or so . I bid on it but that craig guy snagged it ! Glad it found a good home !

Craig owned it later...it was bought by another gentleman I know on Ebay...

only the second native american KIA heart i have seen with native name ! I had a seminole indian heart years ago to a 40th division KIA but it did not have native name.

Congrats !!!

I looked at this post multiple times trying to find the words to say about this medal and its history. The ultimate sacrifice for a greater good can never be repaid. Robert, I'm glad it found a good home.

Kurt Barickman

The irony is so rich reading this; if you are familiar with the treatment the Dakota people were given at Fort Snelling in 1862/3 and a few decades later a warrior from the Lakota enlists at the same place....... WOW!

Kurt