This Is A New One

SKIPH

Hey Gang! Just found this on ebay. It's listed as "US M1 Garand Bayonet (experimental)". Ebay item # 114132244763, w/ Buy Now at $500. It has an M1 handle, with a Bowie Blade (not the M1905E1 type). It has a "US", stamped on the blade. I highly doubt it's an experimental bayonet at $500, and no known proof. I don't know the seller, and if someone could post the ad it would be appreciated. THX SKIP

As I look at the picture, I don't see that it was made from an M1 bayonet. Look at the back of the blade, there is about a 1/4" gap at the back of the cutting edge, and the tang. An M1 blade would have been a snug fit. I don't see experimental here, but would sure like to see what is under the handle. I suspect there is some welding and fitting of the Bowie blade. The U.S. with serifs, stamped on what looks like a commercial blade, has me stumped, along with a back cut runout on the blade. Usually you would see a 90* cut on a commercial Bowie blade. Costa stated it could be an M1905, cut into a fighting knife, but we see that the cut downs with spear or Bowie points, where there is no change to blade size near guard. The mystery continues. The last point, is if was an experimental, why is the seller only asking $500? Just my observations! SKIP

schmooser- Thanks for contacting the seller, and posting pics. My last guess on this one is maybe the blade was welded to the handle. If you look at the second picture, showing the guard, you see what looks like scorch marks. Not having any welding experience i have absolutely no clue. Either way, we have no historical data as to whether these were produced or tested. Good concept, but ??? Any welders out there who could chime in? SKIP

SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

NO EXPERT. About 15 years back a local collector/dealer here in PHX. had 4 or 5 of the/se on his table. Same

story, 'experimental" I passed. Maybe somebody got a deal.

experimental?????????? looks more like a cut down 16'in made into a fighting knife.

Cutdown! Costa that is funny.

Ronnie