1st pattern USMC cover mint condition

Blackhawk

Hi guys!

What are your opinions on this USMC M1 cover?

Is it an original mint 1st pattern cover?

If yes, what would be a realistic price for such a piece?

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Lukas

post-1610-0-34893200-1582756697.png

Very difficult to see the stitching on the beach sit but to me it doesnt look good.

Craig

Thanks for the very fast reply Craig!

I just added some pics of the beach side.

Unfortunately I had to make the pics a lot smaller then the originals are.

Best regards,

Lukas

olivedrab1970

Hmmm, it looks to good ! I would have to see it in person and or have really close up pics. Something just does't feel right, I have a MINT first pattern that is not even close to that bright.

Robin-

Could be real, I think there was one similar discussed on the forum before. However, without the sawtooth stitching on the beach side I would not touch it unless it was for an extremely great price.

olivedrab1970

It's very nice with the closer up pics on the web site, I have seen some really good fakes. On the other hand I have a second pattern that would be very close in color with the yellowish background and very well possible this cover is an early first pattern.

Robin-

Stitching can vary a bit. Here is my First Pattern Cover that has been on a helmet for 50 years and has been authenticated by several experts on this forum. Stitching on beach side is atypical.

post-51748-0-77198000-1582816409_thumb.jpg

Stitching on the beach side of the cover in question is not what is typicality referenced as sawtooth as the example that GAP has shown is.

Could it be authentic? Maybe as there have been at least one example that Ive seen on the forum that seemed to have convinced the members. But for the price I would stay away, if the buyer wanted to sell it you would have quite the time recovering your investment.

In my opinion its a good repro.

So, it is bad, it could be good, it is a good repro?

LOL.

Multiple characteristics concern me, the least of which is the stitching that everybody seems preoccupied with. I have seen correct stitching on repro covers, so we need to expand beyond that.

Biggest concern I have is the USMC weave on the HBT. Should be Army pattern.

Stitching on the beach side of the cover in question is not what is typicality referenced as sawtooth as the example that GAP has shown is.

Could it be authentic? Maybe as there have been at least one example that Ive seen on the forum that seemed to have convinced the members. But for the price I would stay away, if the buyer wanted to sell it you would have quite the time recovering your investment.

In my opinion its a good repro.

So, it is bad, it could be good, it is a good repro?

LOL.

Multiple characteristics concern me, the least of which is the stitching that everybody seems preoccupied with. I have seen correct stitching on repro covers, so we need to expand beyond that.

Biggest concern I have is the USMC weave on the HBT. Should be Army pattern.

Sorry to come across as wishy/washy. Im always open that during the war there were manufacturing oddities or variations that got through to the field. However stitching or material variations are less likely to have happened. Im having a difficult time viewing the weave from the pictures, but it doesnt look like USMC weave to me. On covers its sometime easier to see the difference on the jungle side. There are so many repro USMC covers out there you have to look at it as a whole and sometimes have it in hand to feel and smell the material. My issue with the cover in question from what I can see is the stitching on the beach side. Its not typical for the so called 1st, 2nd or 3rd patterns. Also, it may be my eyes but the thread appears shiny and not 100% cotton. I repeat that my opinion is that its a reproduction.

There are a few great threads on the forum that can help identify real from reproduction covers. If I get time this evening Ill attach a link of one to this thread.