Colonel Edwards uniform

JakeBird6684

Finding this officer in registries for WWII late 40s early 50s will be hard , because this list only Regular Army, it's clear he was in the reserves by the late 40s, and had been since at least the 30s by the Reserve pocket badge (What does the Bar on it say?) He may in fact always have been in the reserves, even though he was in WWI and WWII, these reserve commissioned officers will still not be listed even though they are on active duty.

Is there no other area inside the coat that is marked? Marked with a Serial Number or Laundry Number, a tag in the inside pocket wher name is written?

Poking around in my Cavalry Lineage book by James Sawicki, I was checking a hunch, to see if there was any Reseve Cavalry Regiments located near Aurora llinious, and there were two, Aurora is a suburb of Chicago, and thre were two regiments located in Chicago in the 20s and 30s, one the 317th Cavalry, the other the 318th Cavalry, ths one the 318th was at first in Chicago, then La Grange (Another suburb of Chicago) then back to Chicago, it had elmts at different locations near by, both regiments were in the reserve's 65th Cavalry Division. The 317th was disbanded in October 1943, no doubt by this date a mere paper unit, the 318th on the other hand was reorganized and redesignated as an Signal Corps unit in January 1942, the 546th Signal Aircraft Warning Regiment, can not find info on the 546th Signal Aircraft Warning Regiment, it was redesignated as it does show in the 1961 PAM 872-1 Unit Citations and Campaign Participation Credit Register for WWII and Korea, it's listed, listed as a Anti Aircraft Warning Battalion, then as a Anti Aircraft Automatic Weapons Battalion, and sees action from Normandy to VE Day .

So what does all this mean :lol: It means that this Colonel, if his name was Edwards, as a cavalry reserve officer from the Greater Chicago Area stands a good chance of having been in one of these two regiments before WWII.

Let me now look around for WWII XII Corps assigned Cav units, and or if the 546th AAA Bn was in XII Corps at wars end.

The 2nd Cavalry Group was the XII Corps unit, with the 2nd Cavalry Reconnaissance and the 42nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons, XII Corps being in the 3rd Army, the C.O. of the group was a Colonel Charles Reed, C.O. the whole war, in fact he was the 2nd Cavalry Regiments C.O. at first, so that puts the kibosh on that idea, that he may have been the group commander, wouldn't think he would pick a reserve Lieutenant Colonel as his Exec, probably picked a West Pointer like himself at best or a long serving but young-ish Regular Cavalryman. No real chance he was one of the squadron commanders to my thinking, these were no doubt younger Lieutenant Colonels.

The 546th AAA Bn was at first in 3rd Army, directly under Army, but is transferred out in March 1945 from Army, and attached to the 65th Infantry Division, and remains attached to the Battle Ax Division till VE Day.

So, this Colonel of Cavalry probably would have been a Staff Officer in XII Corps in some unknown slot during the war, either as a Colonel or as a Senior in Grade Lieutenant Colonel.

CNY Militaria

Its Col. Charles H. Edwards of Illinois. He was the IG of XII Corps in WWII and served on the Mexican Border previously. Was also very involved in Reserve affairs.

I'm curious about this tag, what excally is it? What's it made of? Wearing of Tags was not at all prevalent in the late 40s early 50s, very few wore them then, here as a leather tag with window as seen in ths June 1948 photo HERE, again this would be rare, they really start to be seen being worn in like 1953, and usually as either a Brass Plate or a leather plate like see in the previous photo, or as a fob. This one on the coat seems to be Yello for a reason, the color of the Cavalry, and if so a rare application for this period. If we can see a close up of it?

attachicon.gif3AED35DC-D228-43E0-A97D-598E501467F6.jpg

Patches,

Thank you for all your work helping me identify this colonel, It seems justin beat you too it! Col Edwards from what I gather was placed in an armored division right after the war and stayed there until his retirement. The bar underneath the reserve corps pin says "15 Years" (sorry for the bad photo quality)

Thanks,

Jake

Patches,

Thank you for all your work helping me identify this colonel, It seems justin beat you too it! Col Edwards from what I gather was placed in an armored division right after the war and stayed there until his retirement. The bar underneath the reserve corps pin says "15 Years" (sorry for the bad photo quality)

Thanks,

Jake

Right, wonder what other stuff can be found on him, WWI and the 20s and 30s, getting no hits on him, not even an OBIT.

Is it possible to see a close up front and rear of the NAME Tag, it will be an important references for any future sighting of this or similar looking tags from this period.

Seen mention of him here, something to do with a late 1969 Law Suit.Not that this helps are cause in finding his units :lol:, but it at least tells us he was still around then. He is listed in the second paragraph with others as Colonel Charles H. Edwards.

https://www.leagle.com/decision/1969142119illapp2d231138

And here, but in WWII.

Edwards, Charles H. Col. Hdq. XII Corps 

https://archive.org/stream/recordofaurorain00gree/recordofaurorain00gree_djvu.txt

Thanks jake. An interesting piece, wholly hand made and effective, thin colored cardboard with print shop type name, on a stiffer? cardboard,, with more, here typed on with type writer, the whole tag in inserted into a celluloid sleeve covering, the material used with many ribbon slides back then. The pin, maybe American, maybe even foreign, is just pierced though the plastic cover.

post-34986-0-58623700-1582685752.jpgpost-34986-0-05992600-1582685762.jpg