Air Corps aviator pin question

BigBrother

Hey all! This past weekend I had to put together an early 40s aviator Air Corps summer uniform, and all the details were pretty easy to determine except one.

The aviator pin worn on the collar and garrison cap, the one seen here:

hith-pearl-harbor-welch-and-taylor-07021

When I looked through pins at surplus stores, I found that there was a slightly larger props and wings pin with more curved wing tips, and a smaller one with very pointed wing tips. From what I glean from photos, the Pearl Harbor movie, research online, etc., I think the larger/more curved wing tip one is correct, and the smaller pointed one is simply the current Army Aviation pin.

However, A) I wasn't sure, and B) at the event I attended, I looked closely at every attendee's Air Corps pin and every single pin I saw was the smaller/pointed one.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Original WW2 wing and prop collar insignia are not rare and can be had for not a lot of money. By an original. They do not have the G-12 or similar markings on the backs. Beyond that period wing and prop collar insignia do have slight variations from maker to maker.

Update- I'm nearly certain the curved/larger ones are right, as I've now seen several examples of originals for sale and they all conform to this, plus I found, on the website of the mfr. who supplies the surplus store, the smaller/sharper ones and they are indeed listed as Army Aviation:

Nevertheless, would love more info if you've got it! Thanks!

Correct WW2 USAAF officer branch insignia is available and inexpensive (as stated previously), the newer version has the pointier wingtips. Size is not very different between the old and new versions.

Top to bottom: WW2, WW2, Army Aviation BOS 1990s, Army Aviation BOS Current (Sta-bright)

post-32676-0-15105700-1582506533.jpg

Keep in mind the regulation change in the wear of insignia in 1942. In the photo of Taylor and Welch above taken just after Pearl Harbor, rank was worn on the shoulder with the "US" on the right collar and the branch on the left collar. After the change, rank was worn on the right collar and branch on the left.

Keep in mind the regulation change in the wear of insignia in 1942. In the photo of Taylor and Welch above taken just after Pearl Harbor, rank was worn on the shoulder with the "US" on the right collar and the branch on the left collar. After the change, rank was worn on the right collar and branch on the left.

+1

Correct WW2 USAAF officer branch insignia is available and inexpensive (as stated previously), the newer version has the pointier wingtips. Size is not very different between the old and new versions.

Top to bottom: WW2, WW2, Army Aviation BOS 1990s, Army Aviation BOS Current (Sta-bright)

Would you be willing to measure the width of those? (An average is obviously fine.)

Thanks!!

Would you be willing to measure the width of those? (An average is obviously fine.)

Thanks!!

Sure, WW2 version measures 1 1/8" across while the later version measures 1 1/4" across at the wingtips. Props are consistent at 3/4" high.

Sure, WW2 version measures 1 1/8" across while the later version measures 1 1/4" across at the wingtips. Props are consistent at 3/4" high.

Very useful, and conforms with what I read elsewhere a few days ago about 1 1/8". Thank you so, so much!!! Great to have actual historical examples as a reference!

Actually one last thing- I've seen these now on hats (garrison caps), collars, and lapels. Anyone know if it was the same exact pin on all three? I understand there might be minor differences based on mfr. from one photo to the next, but for a given airman, would they be acquiring the same pin to place on all three locations, or was the hat one slightly larger, anything like that? Same pin always or different ones? Thanks all!

Damn. This leads me to three observations- two general, one specific to US Militaria Forum:

1. That was *insanely* and enormously helpful. Thanks so much!

2. This is, I swear, why I love the internet! No matter how obsessed you are or want to get, somewhere someone (usually some group) has already dove deeply and can supply gobs of information.

3. After reading 4 pages, I have to declare this forum one of the good ones online. I could barely believe how civil, interesting, intelligent, and just all around positive and productive everyone was on that thread. This is *exceedingly* rare online.

I love this place! Thanks guys!!!

Damn. This leads me to three observations- two general, one specific to US Militaria Forum:

1. That was *insanely* and enormously helpful. Thanks so much!

2. This is, I swear, why I love the internet! No matter how obsessed you are or want to get, somewhere someone (usually some group) has already dove deeply and can supply gobs of information.

3. After reading 4 pages, I have to declare this forum one of the good ones online. I could barely believe how civil, interesting, intelligent, and just all around positive and productive everyone was on that thread. This is *exceedingly* rare online.

I love this place! Thanks guys!!!

Thanks for the supportive comments! We try to be civil here, unlike a lot of place on the web.