I found this ETO Jacket.

Do you know what this colour means?

XS = declassed. Laudry number in the jacket

Found in france, the house belonged to a former spahis (during ww2)

Is it possible medical department? Use in hospital?

I don't found this soldier on NARA...

Thanks

sorry for pictures, i don't know how to make .jpg under 10k

post-163819-0-22695400-1582408664_thumb.jpgpost-163819-0-34289100-1582408666_thumb.jpgpost-163819-0-18647700-1582408669_thumb.jpgpost-163819-0-71922300-1582408673_thumb.jpg

Those are beyond aweful pictures, Ill go out on a limb and guess that if the tag says ETO jacket then it would be a type of Jacket that was british made for american troops. I think the type 1 had flapped pockets, however the type two version that I have and I beleive is most common does not. If that is what it is then that type of jacket is most frequently seen delonging to pilots with the 8th Airforce. That is only a guess however, better pictures could prove that this is something else entirely.

donation2019.gif

That is one weird jacket. The only thing that comes to mind is that it may be a hospital convalescent jacket, that were maroon but not that cut or material. They were made of cotton chino but maybe in England they needed something warmer and went with these, just a guess.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I think this OD jacket has been dyed maroon for post WWII wear. Someone ought to save a photo or two as those hyperlinks will be dead at some point.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Hello,

I don't think it has been dyed. The color is only external. Laudry number is military, i don't think it was used as civilian wear.

is it possible that it was used by usaaf personnel on air base? As an Armament Technician or other...

Nico

Nico - There is nothing about this jacket to suggest that it was a U.S. military garment, either in design, construction or especially in the color. We have a saying here in the states, "you're barking up the wrong tree." Since it was found in the house of a former WWII French soldier I'd look in Europe for for a source. Good luck. Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Nico - There is nothing about this jacket to suggest that it was a U.S. military garment, either in design, construction or especially in the color.

I wouldn't say that, I think the uniform clearly started as a British made first pattern enlisted mans jacket, everything is correct about it except that it is red and the buttons have been replaced from the OD ones that they normally would have had. Additionally, the tag seems to be in the correct place except it is washed out so that you cant see it. These jackets were made in the 1943-44 time frame for American troops in England. As to why this one is red and has had it's buttons replaced it probably got repurposed after the war.

It is identical in most respects to the one found here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/158364-british-made-eto-jackets-8th-9th-air-forces/

donation2019.gif

Nico - There is nothing about this jacket to suggest that it was a U.S. military garment, either in design, construction or especially in the color. We have a saying here in the states, "you're barking up the wrong tree." Since it was found in the house of a former WWII French soldier I'd look in Europe for for a source. Good luck. Bobgee

Hello,

i desagree with you, it's a ww2 military ETO jacket 1st pattern made in england for US army. U.S Laudry number still inside but the label is not readable. The question is about the color, soldier or civilian but i can say the subject is not easy.

https://sites.google.com/site/alexanderjameshistory/world-war-two-field-uniforms

regards

Nico

post-163819-0-88696000-1582710112_thumb.jpg

This color reminds me of the British-made beanie caps posted back in 2016 in the link below..

Post #21 by French forum member Norwegian Blue indicates that ETO jackets were dyed with the same brownish color for Post-war surplus market.

Link to 2016 post: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/275874-ww2-british-made-wool-knit-caps-in-red/

Alex Boban - Owner of 44th Collectors Avenue, LLC
QMDepot@44thcollectorsavenue.com

USMF-SIGNATURE-BANNER-X1A.jpg

you are certainly right but if female staff wears these colors there is a good chance that the male staff too. It's just a track that I'm trying to develop.

have a good day

One problem with that logic is that I am pretty sure the female uniforms you show are British and the uniform you have is American. The two countries would have done things differently and it is very unlikely you can draw a parallel there. It is odd the tag isn't died, but it is also completely washed out it looks like so maybe it just lost the red tint when the whole thing got washed out over the years.

donation2019.gif

I will completely skip the dyed idea. The thread on the button holes is not red either. Those tan button ring a bell but I can not recall what.

I will completely skip the dyed idea. The thread on the button holes is not red either. Those tan button ring a bell but I can not recall what.

The color of the thread is likely irrelevant because those buttons are not the origional ETO jacket buttons so they had to have been replaced at some point. They could have easily been sewn on after the jacket had been dyed in which case those threads would still be white.

donation2019.gif

Not all threads will pick up all dyes. Look at the color of the label inside the jacket. If it isn't pristine white, odds are that the jacket has been dyed. I stand behind my assessment that this is an OD wool jacket that has been dyed maroon for post-war wear.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif