Short Sleeve 1st SGT Khaki Shirt

Edelweisse

Hi Folks:

I recnelty picked this up in a local thrift store...and I'm thinking 1960-70s 1st Sgt short sleeve shirt....but I can't find any size....yet it's small size...and I'm thinking "female" but I could be wrong. The shirt is made by "Finesilver" San Antonio, TX...and there is another label on the inside with washing and care...and spec. "LP/P-DES-39-68"...whatever that means. Any help in ID'ing the timeframe would be appreciated.

post-153915-0-13965000-1582309933_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-86824700-1582309942_thumb.jpg

That looks to mem like a PX/private purchase shirt, not an issue shirt.

I am not positive, but I don't think the Army ever had a khaki uniform for females. If they did, it probably wouldn't have chest pockets.

I agree with your estimate of 60s-70s. We wore khakis even into the early 80s until the girl scout green shirts came out. I know they wore long-sleeved khakis in the 50s & at least part of the 60s. Again, I'm not sure when they switched to short sleeves.

At any rate, that's a nice shirt!

Based on the merrowed-border chevrons, post 1968. So, anywhere in the span of 1968 to 1979 (khakis were gone when I went on active duty in 1980)

Females didn't wear this type shirt. And, on what they did wear, they wore smaller chevrons - not these large size (Male) chevrons.

It looks like what we used to call "TW's." Tropical worsted khakis like that were purchased and not issued. I remember the last day you could wear khakis was in about 1985 or 1986. The guys in my unit who could wore them on the last day.

Female would have had the smaller chevrons I'm pretty sure.

That style of short sleeved khaki was the summer dress uniform when I first came in. They stopped issuing them right after I finished basic training in 1980.

Female equivalent at that time was a mint green one piece dress that ended a couple of inches above the knee. I can't remember what the official name of that dress was, as I did basic at the Fort Benning School for Boys so there were no females around. :D

Thank you...I was thinking of smaller chevrons...since the USAF had the same (Smaller chevrons) for female service members when I was in. I just wasn't sure...since it's a 1st Sgt....but the comment about the pockets.....I got it...fully understand. Thank you for all your help.

This would be your Female Summer Uniform back then, from the late 50s on, I don't know when they stooped wearing this, sometime in the 90s?, a pale green, green cord with darker green piping on cuffs and collars, plus as mentioned the small rank insignia. Photo from the early 80s of a reservist, but was worn obliviously army wide.

post-34986-0-63846700-1426907373.jpg

And in Vietnam 1969, again note the small rank sleeve insignia.

post-34986-0-87369800-1582430675.jpg