Royal Navy Officers Decorated by US for USS Panay

USMCR79

Found this on the BritishMedalForum and thought it was interesting - Thanks to Original Poster Sandpiper from NZ

Officers of the Royal Navy leave the US Embassy, London after presentation of American decorations by US Ambassador Joseph Kennedy 18 November 1938 following the "Panay Incident" in December 1937.

Left to right; unknown Captain, Vice Admiral L.G. Crabbe (Navy Cross), Captain G.E.M. O'Donnell (Distinguished Service Medal), Lieutenant Commander H.D. Barlow (NavyCross), Mr Christopher Holt who received the Distinguished Service Medal on behalf of his father, Rear Admiral H.V. Holt.

On 12 December 1937 Japanese aircraft bombed and sank USS Panay, an American gunboat on the Yangtse River, also three American tankers . The following day, HMS Beelocated the wrecks and rescued the survivors. HMS Ladybird was also involved.

Bill

post-248-0-03021900-1582299964.jpg

WOW, Thanks very much for sharing this bit of information. I never knew just how common it actually was for all the Allied Powers to bestow each others medals & awards upon each other. First I heard about it was man, many years ago from the late Al Gleim, when I queried him about a WW2 era British M.M. that was officially named to an U.S. Soldier. I didn't ave any idea as to what I had, other than I knew it was very uncommon ? Well, as always, he set me straight with the full story.

Best, dpast32