Rigger helmet on ebay

mccauslandpara1944

mccauslandpara1944

This might make a good discussion. I know there are various rigger modifications that have been put together for Airborne helmets, but this I have not seen before. I personally do not like it. The seller claims it's 100% original with a lifetime guarantee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WW2-PARATROOPER-M2-D-LOOP-HELMET-WITH-INLAND-JUMP-LINER/254510752571?hash=item3b4205e33b:g:69kAAOSwunNeNyQx

RememberThe5thESB

I wont lie, that paint around the bails is a little suspect to me with how little rust bleed there is in it compared to the exterior repaint... The rust looks a bit new too, but that could just be explained by storage conditions.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Lol...snort...snort...omg...Lol! This is part of the sellers description on this M2?:

"Notice the shell is a rear seam with Stainless Steel rim. Never say never! This example is proof that it was done, a late war repaired helmet done with original D loops! Airborne Command was repairing every broken helmet in their inventory., and there are lot of them. Riggers were given a pile of shells and a pile of parts. They just welded away repairing them without caring about matching up the correct loops, straps or other parts."

airborneguy44

If the Army knew the D-loops presented an issue, why would riggers fix a swivel loop helmet with d-rings? To me this helmet has clear red flags that its not even worth looking at. IMO, the only thing of value is the Inland airborne liner, but recently a faked inland para liner was sold as original so Im skeptical on that too.

I know the seller is a forum member here, so maybe he can chime in

I know the seller is a forum member here, so maybe he can chime in

Member or not he will have a tough time convincing anyone here that a repaired rear seamed M-1 can somehow morph into an M-2.

I dont believe riggers were in the buisness of doing slop work. Those guys did do and still do real nice work on modified items.

The liner doesnt even fit into the shell correctly its such a slop job. The rust looks FRESH !

mccauslandpara1944

I would like to know if the seller purchased this Frankenstein lid and how much it cost?? The seller has other Airborne items for sale on eBay as well. Clearly this is not an original M2 helmet by any means.

To my knowledge M2 helmets were often given to nurses as the army was very aware of the M2 helmet's problems. You imagine being a paratrooper and your helmet flying off your head from the prop blast, you'd want a better one yourself. The M2 helmets were sometimes repaired on the ground using wire and mess kits but were quickly replaced with standard M1 helmets. These were sometimes even modified with the M2 helmet chin straps, other times they taped the liner and shell together or used leather liner chin straps to keep the shell from flying in mid air.

While it is certainly possible that swivel loop shells were sometimes repaired, it is very unlikely 'airborne command' was repairing them with wire or broken off C-loops to be jumped with. There's no such thing.

mccauslandpara1944

He also has a AB liner that is "100% original" even though it seems to have a suspect (probably postwar) fabric chincup

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-ORIGINAL-WW2-M-1C-PARATROOPER-HELMET-LINER-AIRBORNE/254521332182?hash=item3b42a751d6:g:DA8AAOSwxw5eUu-2

I agree. I see too many red flags with this helmet and several other items.

airborneguy44

my neighbor ( now deceased) who did a drop in Africa, Italy. Normandy. and one other I cannot remember , said he never had a d bail, his unit he said was ginger bread men who later were combined with another outfit.