Navy variable density goggle's

AZPhil

Hello All,

Sometime ago I posted my variable density goggle's that have the red flip up lense. I was informed that they were used more by Army Anti Aircraft gunners. So I posted this pic of Gernal Robert Travis ,commander of the Eighth Air Force's 41st Combat Bombardment Wing. The 384th Bomb Group fell under his command and he flew with them. Here is a pic of him wearing these goggles. After seeing this photo of my Uncle's(tail gunner) B-17 the Mrs Geezil. I had to have a set. The cheapest I found was an offer from a seller for $199, the highest I've seen them was $399.

Well tonight I won this pair for $42!!!!!!

Here is Travis after a mission on the Mrs Geezil

post-11740-0-74959100-1582170844.jpg

These are the pic's from the seller.

I asked about the elastic bands and he said this look like they were never used and the elastic is in excellent condition.post-11740-0-69781800-1582171294.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

I tried to fit these in the post above, but the image size limit would not except them, So hear is the box and side veiw.post-11740-0-77353000-1582171420.jpg

post-11740-0-14880200-1582171438.jpg

Here is the thread I stared with my first pair and there are other pic's if Gen.Travis wearing these.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197770-variable-density-goggles/?hl=%2Bvariable+%2Bdensity+%2Bgoggles

Semper Fi

Phil

Phil,

The goggles you have, and show General Travis wearing, are a Navy contracted and issued item. No telling how he acquired a pair, but being a General, he would have means at his disposal greater than those of the average bomber crewman. The Navy did run anti-sub patrols out of England flying PB4Y-1 Liberators, so he may have come in contact with them at some point and acquired a pair. Who knows? For some detailed information on these goggles, check out this two page article from my site: https://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_78.html General Travis is also shown here, to include the when and where he was photographed with these goggles.

Hello Paul

going to see the reference you mentioned on your website made me noticing (at least so it looks to me, without further enlarging the image) an interesting detail, airman next to Gen. Travis holds a A-8B oxy. mask? Item still was seeing use by some individuals in January 1944, evidently it wasn't yet fully replaced by A-14 model. I'd have thought by then it wasn't part of flight gear anymore.

Thanx! Franco.

Hi Franco,

You are correct. Note that Travis was flying as co-pilot in a B-17F when that photo you mention was taken, which must have had one of the older constant flow oxygen systems installed, and would require the A-8B mask. Newer model Fortresses would have the improved demand oxygen systems that were compatible with the A-9, A-10 family and A-14 masks.

Regards, Paul

Thank you for your replies,

Pararaftanr2 you have wonderful site that I had spent sometime reading and I have it saved to my Fav's.. Thank you for that work.

I did know these were Navy. That is why I titled this thread as such. I found that out here when I had posted my VD goggles and was informed about these. I appreciated the education, Thanks!!

It was that photo of General Travis flying on the Mrs Geezil (The B-17G that my uncle was shot down in on April 13th 1944) That made me want this set up. I know that Generals have access to other equipment the ordinary airmen would not. Rank does have it privileges.

But It is being worn, So it's not incorrect for a set up. It will just have to be titled General Travis wearing Navy VD goggles.

That photo I posted of General Travis fly with the 384th was on February 28th 1944.

Semper Fi

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Now I know he is wearing what I believe to be a Type C.

post-11740-0-44630600-1583016596.jpg

Due to size limitations I had to make this into 2 post.

SF

Phil

Nice display. Try to put a goggle strap under a keeper straps from the helmet. I always looks much better :)

Cheers,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

I agree with setting it up right. It was a photo op when they arrived.

If only I could find a B-17 panel to paint Mrs Geezil on it as a back drop!!!!

Semper Fi

Phil