1918 Knife ?

Kansas Raider

Kansas Raider

This knife was in my grandfathers items. Do not know where or how he got it. Is the knife good? I am pretty sure the OCL stamping is not right. There is a name (Croley) on the blade on one side and a number (4283) on the other side. I had to shine a light at an angle to be able to see them. What do you think? Steve

post-154231-0-56796500-1582163981_thumb.jpg

post-154231-0-44576000-1582164004_thumb.jpg

post-154231-0-03565300-1582164026_thumb.jpg

post-154231-0-29733500-1582164050_thumb.jpg

post-154231-0-84434500-1582164080_thumb.jpg

The handle looks to be the type used on Au Lion (French) made knives, but the blade should be marked accordingly...US made LF&C knives are marked accordingly on the handle....Likely made from surplus parts or a reproduction.....Bodes

The handle looks to be the type used on Au Lion (French) made knives, but the blade should be marked accordingly...US made LF&C knives are marked accordingly on the handle....Likely made from surplus parts or a reproduction.....Bodes

Looking it over again, it may be an original French knife that somebody removed the Au Lion name from the blade and scribed what's on it....The blade side of the guard appears bright, like it's been buffed....Bodes

Kansas Raider

Hi Bodes, No, it has not been buffed, that is a light from a flash light trying to show the inscriptions. Steve

warcollect1942

The OCL should have a period after each letter and O.C.L. 1918 should be centered under

U.S. 1918.

Dennis

No plan just bigger guns.

Wanted to buy 10th Mountain Division greenback

Greetings Steve,

Knife is not an original Mk. I Trench Knife. It's an older reproduction, likely, of Japanese origin. That said, it could have have been used/carried in Vietnam, but that would require some decent provenance/proof.

Best,

V/r Lance

“With a gentleman I am always a gentleman and a half, and with a fraud I try to be a fraud and a half.”

Otto von Bismarck.

Kansas Raider

Thanks everybody for the input. I did not have a clue. I wonder if the number on the blade could be the last for of a SS# and the last name. I bet that will be almost impossible to find out. Steve