IWO JIMA KIA Jack Seay Blankenhorn USMC ID Bracelet

KingsMountainTigers

KingsMountainTigers

I wanted to make a tribute to this brave Marine today on the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima. Jack Seay Blankenhorn made the ultimate sacrifice for his country on March 3rd, 1945 at Iwo Jima. Jack was in Co. H of the 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division. Jack was killed by Japanese artillery fire in the vicinity of X-RAY AND YOKE North on the morning of March 3rd. Back in December, I traveled to Alabama and visited his grave sight and the house he grew up in. It was a very emotional trip and one I will never forget. Listed below is some important information from his service file. Also listed is his ID Bracelet, as well as his fiance's ID Bracelet. I feel his ID Bracelet is the most important item of his that was sent back home. These items remain the most important items in my collection. Jack's service to our country will never be forgotten.

post-191489-0-06834100-1582152345_thumb.jpg

post-191489-0-55518000-1582152425_thumb.jpg

post-191489-0-96429100-1582152450_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Dear Sir:

Thank you so much for posting this information on Jack Seay Blankenhorn.  Mr. Blankenhorn was my father’s best friend when they served as a Para-Marine, 1st Marine Parachute Battalion, and then transferred to the 5th Marine Division.  My father’s name was Jack McKeag who is now buried at Arlington National Cemetery.  Why I’m grateful to know more about Mr. Blankenhorn?  Well, he saved my father’s life during the Koiari Raid on Bougainville when they were being evacuated from the island.  Long story for here.  But, sadly, Mr. Blankenhorn was killed just a few days before the end of the Iwo Jima battle.  My father was there.  I have attached a picture of my father and Jack Blankenhorn “doing their jobs” - an iconic picture that my father has confirmed was taken of Jack Blankenhorn, himself and two other Marines.  My father is the second Marine from the right.  Jack Blankenhorn is the Marine on the plunger to my father’s right.  So, on this Veterans Day, I thought it appropriate to honor two southern boys (Alabama and Oklahoma) who fought for the democracy and freedoms that we have today.  So grateful!  Thank you!IMG_0555.jpeg.010ba8d1008fe67daa992f5970ac737d.jpeg

KingsMountainTigers

Thank you so much! That is absolutely incredible. I would love to hear more of the story regarding  Jack and your father's experiences at Bougainville, as well as Iwo Jima if you would be willing to share it with me. This remains the centerpiece of my collection and started my collection on the Pacific and specifically Iwo Jima. I'll have to buy a copy of that life magazine to put with the bracelets. Thank you for your post, what an amazing connection.