Washington

tredhed2

I was surprised that History Channel actually put some history on the air. This was a 3 day mini-series about Goerge Washington. I enjoyed it; the only caveate was too many talking heads. I expected to see a couple, but not that many. There was a lot of acting, scripts were in use, actual historical sites were in use, just a very interesting program. Wasn't sanitized, either. How many of you know a young and foolish Washington had a French diplomat assassinated? It really sparked the French & Indian War here.

This program coverered his life from being a small boy to his being our first president and his retirement from that position.

Ads indicate there is a future mini-series about US Grant. Can't believe I am looking forward to a show on HC.

tdogchristy90

I did see the ads for it but havent seen it.

If youre into that kind of thing, there is a PBS documentary that talked about Washington during the French and Indian War and how it relates to America. Its called The War that Made America.

Was grateful for the mini series for sure and something historical. I had a hard time getting past the acting though. For me it was terrible. It seems all you have to do to play Washington is look in the camera with a serious expression and breath hardball the time. I wish these programs would pay more attention to Ken Burns style of telling these stories. I liked Jeff Daniels narration though and in fact if you havent seen him play Washington in the AE movie the Crossing it is worth it.

The Crossing was good. I rather enjoyed the depiction of Washington in the John Adams series.

I agree with that, in fact I found that entire series to be excellent and in a completely different category than the Washington mini series from last weekend. Of course the format in that one was more of a drama than a documentary. I also enjoyed the depiction of the Boston Massacre in the John Adams series and sometimes pull out the DVD just to watch that episode. I think the previews for the upcoming series on Grant mentioned by the OP look to have some promise. We will see if DiCaprio as the producer can pull it off.

I will have to rewatch that Adams series, because I don’t remember (senility) too much....but I did enjoy it. Yeah, the acting in this miniseries was pretty bad...the actor was too thin to even remotely resemble Washington (in Patton, actor George C. Scott WAS Patton) but the attention to details was fascinating, at least to me. How dirty everyone’s fingers were while writing with quill pens; lack of uniformity in, well, uniforms of the Continental “Army”....the weapons looked good, but the actors did not hold them correctly when shooting them, the archaic method of speaking, the civility towards each other...

Again better than Pawn Shop, Swamp People, and most of the other junk on HC.

My little son made me beam with pride when he asked me "why do they call it the history channel, daddy? They're just building a motorcycle." Itll be good to see some history back on it.

I've watched the first two episodes and have enjoyed it for the most part...It is narrated by Jeff Daniels, and would say it's not really a high budget documentary.....Hence all the "talking heads" are perhaps there in order to reduce the need for more action type scenes....

I like it because I've forgotten most of what I had learned about the founding of this country, so it's a good refresher......Bodes