WWII M1 Painted Star Helmet D-Day?

Pudgy (V)

I purchased this helmet named to a Ellis H. Kint 33146995. I started researching his name on the internet and I came up with the following. (Click the "Read More" button after you click the link)

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/57594626/ellis-handley-kint

Is it possible this could be his D-day helmet? I image the star would protect against allied attacks from the air, not sure what the 69 painted on the back would be. I tried researching the serial number and couldn't find a match nor could I find his name in the database. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank-you!!

post-151853-0-95010600-1582083474_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-23086800-1582083487_thumb.jpg

post-151853-0-04512200-1582083501_thumb.jpg

The blue paint on that most definitely looks like a backyard warrior kind of thing. Looks like the base paint was repainted sometime in Korea or Vietnam too.

Is it possible this could be his D-day helmet? I image the star would protect against allied attacks from the air,

The blue star theory about preventing allied attacks from the air is starting to enter the realm of pure fantasy.

I think there is no possibility that this is a D-Day helmet.

mccauslandpara1944

To me the star looks like the art job painted by someone post war. The 69 painting I am sure is related to something else lol.

Can anyone find information on ancestry or Fold3 about Ellis H Kint? He was a three war veteran and he was in Normandy. I will try to remove the star if you guys feel it's not wartime, most of it is already worn off anyway. I thought the star might have been plausible considering I've seen a few examples before. Thanks!!

I found this picture on the forum. Soldiers sometimes painted stars on their helmets.

Post # 3

What era is that picture from?

The star on the helmet in the pic looks similar as it also has a boarder around it like on your helmet.

The star might be something from the 60's somebody messing around, but it could be related in someway to the picture in post #3.

But what era is that picture from?

As far as the OP trying to make it into something he wants it to be.. I dont see that. I see someone posting their helmet on this

Forum looking for answers. I wouldnt remove the star. its yours of course but I would leave it be. At the very least until you can prove it is not something of historical value. You might be wiping away something worthwhile?

Can anyone find information on ancestry or Fold3 about Ellis H Kint? He was a three war veteran and he was in Normandy. I will try to remove the star if you guys feel it's not wartime, most of it is already worn off anyway. I thought the star might have been plausible considering I've seen a few examples before. Thanks!!

Posted from the link provided.

SGT. ELLIS KINT DIES SUDDENLY THIS MORNING

SFC Ellis H. Kint, 53, husband of Mrs. Katharine Livingston Kint, Lincoln Square, died suddenly this morning at Indiantown Gap after suffering a heart attack at breakfast in the camp mess hall. He was dead on arrival at the hospital at 6:45 o'clock.

Mrs. Kint said he had spent the weekend with the family here and was not feeling well Sunday morning when he left for Indiantown Gap to take a truckload of ammunition to Camp Drum, N.Y. However, she said she assumes he made the trip, returning to the base sometime Monday.

Sgt. Kint was a veteran and three-time medal-holder of World War II and the Korean War and had served four assignments in Vietnam, the last of which was in 1968-69.

He was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Md., in Army Ordnance, and was on temporary assignment for six weeks to Indiantown Gap, where he was in charge of ammunition for National Guard and ROTC training.

OFTEN DECORATED

Sgt. Kint, who advanced to a Master Sergeant in World War II, served in the Normandy invasion with the U.S. Army Infantry. He later served for 18 months in Korea, earning Bronze Star Medals for outstanding service in both conflicts. He received his third medal in March, 1970, for outstanding service with the First Logistical Command of the U.S. Army in Vietnam. Following his return from Vietnam duty in 1969 he was a drill instructor at Aberdeen.

A native of Adams County, he was the son of Myrtle Kint, formerly of Fairfield and now a resident of Piney Mt. Home, Fayetteville R.D., who survives with his widow and two sons, Ellis H. Jr., Gettysburg R. 1, and Michael, at home; four grandsons; two sisters, Mrs. Nicholas Kint, Fairfield, and Mrs. Jane Shaffer, Fairfield R. 1; and a brother, Norman Reecher, Cashtown.

Sgt. Kint will be buried with full military honors in the National Cemetery here. Final arrangements are incomplete.

(From THE GETTYSBURG TIMES, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, Wednesday Evening, August 26, 1970)